Approved on the spot - Green Card - Seattle - Jan 31st 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approved on the spot - Green Card - Seattle - Jan 31st 2019

So we had our interview in Seattle today and we were approved on the spot.

1. We reached the seattle office 45 minutes before the interview [ Parking for the USCIS office in Tukwila is $8 Cash, so don't forget that]
    2. We walked into the office 30 minutes before the interview and checked in on the first floor
    3. We walked up to the second floor and sat on the left hand side (we should have sat on the right hand side since that's were the officials come out and call the names but luckily we heard her clearly)

The interview took about 45 minutes with the first 15 minutes being spent in:

1. Taking the photo
    2. Fingerprints (index fingers only)
    3. Making us take the oath and checking our id's - Keep your passport, drivers license, EAD (for the beneficiary) ready and for the petitioner, ensure they have their drivers license or passport ready
    3. Going through all the questions on the I-485 (the officer also peppered us with questions form the I-130 such as each other's birthdays, parents names, each others full names, where each other was born and so on) while going through the questions in the I-485.
    4. The next 30 minutes was spent mainly asking us about the following
    --- How we met
    --- How long did we know each other before we started dating and how we kept in touch
    --- When did we decide to make it official
    --- How we got engaged (this she asked my wife to tell the story and asked me questions as my wife was telling the story)
    --- What we did for our marriage
    --- Asking about common interests
    --- Random stuff like "do you have any pet peeves about each other"

Then she asked us if we had any additional documentation to add to what was already submitted in the initial application. I handed her our very extensive Table of contents (which can be found here: https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...972#post593972) which she absolutely loved and asked if she could keep it since said it was incredibly well organized. From the list of evidence she asked for

1. Common bank statements (interestingly she only wanted the latest statement and not the statements for the last 6months since she said she didn't want to overwhelm the file and wanted to keep the case file no thicker than 6 inches)
    2. Copy of the Lease agreement for the apartment we stayed in before we bought a house
    3. Copy of the title deed of the house
    4. Insurance documents - she was a little surprised that we didn't have each other on each other's health insurance but we explained that we both had health insurance from our respective companies (which was fully paid for by the company) and if we needed to add each other to the company insurance, we need to pay fairly high premiums which didn't make sense. She agreed that made sense and she liked the other insurance documents we had presented.
    5. Copy of our Power of attorney documents
    6. Copy of the 2017 tax filing (she just wanted the first 2 pages to show that we filed jointly)

After that we spent some time looking through all the photographs we had got (about 40 of them) and explaining where every one was taken and the story behind them (and highlighting the ones where we had family or friends in them) and she took all our photographs

After that, she told us that she was going to approve us and we should get a notification about the card being produced in 30-60 days and thanked us again for being so organized and said she loved how we had organized everything with dates since that showed the strength and length of our relationship. She then walked us out.

20 minutes later after we were sitting down to get lunch, I got a notification that our card was in production.

My case is not a standard K1 case but H1B to green card via marriage (my wife and I met in University in 2010, remained friends till 2015 (I was out of the country from 2011-2015 since I moved back to my native country after my grad studies) and the company I worked for moved me for a work project to Seattle on H1B and we renkindled our in-person friendship again and started dating shortly after that and got engaged in Aug 2016 and got married in July 2017.So its a little different from most other cases but the basic principles of applying with all key evidence remains (and also ensuring you are super organized when you for your interview).

Special thanks to the seniors on this forum who helped me and gave me plenty of practical advice how to arrange my table of contents.Now I am on the train for the for removal of conditions and I am going to take the advice on the forum and ensure I build a even more solid case.

For those who are interested, this is how our final folder organization looked like
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190130_222620.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	592042

Feel free to ask me any questions.
    Last edited by seattlefiler2017; 02-01-2019, 02:25 AM.
    Priority date of Oct 30th 2017
    12/05/2017 - Did my biometrics
    12/17/2017 - Got a RFE requesting my USC sponsors tax information for proof of sponsorship
    12/19/2017 - USCIS received our RFE response on December 19th
    02/03/2018 - got my combined EAD\AP
    10/04/2018 - Status updated in the USCIS case tracker as "Ready to schedule interview"
    10/09/2018 - Applied for EAD\AP Renewal
    12/26/2018 - Got a notification that the "interview was scheduled"
    01/31/2019 - Interview date

Originally posted by seattlefiler2017 View Post

1. We reached the seattle office 45 minutes before the interview [ Parking for the USCIS office in Tukwila is $8 Cash, so don't forget that]
    2. We walked into the office 30 minutes before the interview and checked in on the first floor
    3. We walked up to the second floor and sat on the left hand side (we should have sat on the right hand side since that's were the officials come out and call the names but luckily we heard her clearly)

1. Taking the photo
    3. Making us take the oath and checking our id's - Keep your passport, drivers license, EAD (for the beneficiary) ready and for the petitioner, ensure they have their drivers license or passport ready
    3. Going through all the questions on the I-485 (the officer also peppered us with questions form the I-130 such as each other's birthdays, parents names, each others full names, where each other was born and so on) while going through the questions in the I-485.
    --- How we met
    --- How long did we know each other before we started dating and how we kept in touch
    --- How we got engaged (this she asked my wife to tell the story and asked me questions as my wife was telling the story)

Then she asked us if we had any additional documentation to add to what was already submitted in the initial application. I handed her our very extensive Table of contents (which can be found here: https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...972#post593972) which she absolutely loved and asked if she could keep it since said it was incredibly well organized. From the list of evidence she asked for

1. Common bank statements (interestingly she only wanted the latest statement and not the statements for the last 6months since she said she didn't want to overwhelm the file and wanted to keep the case file no thicker than 6 inches)
    2. Copy of the Lease agreement for the apartment we stayed in before we bought a house
    4. Insurance documents - she was a little surprised that we didn't have each other on each other's health insurance but we explained that we both had health insurance from our respective companies (which was fully paid for by the company) and if we needed to add each other to the company insurance, we need to pay fairly high premiums which didn't make sense. She agreed that made sense and she liked the other insurance documents we had presented.
    6. Copy of the 2017 tax filing (she just wanted the first 2 pages to show that we filed jointly)

After that we spent some time looking through all the photographs we had got (about 40 of them) and explaining where every one was taken and the story behind them (and highlighting the ones where we had family or friends in them) and she took all our photographs

After that, she told us that she was going to approve us and we should get a notification about the card being produced in 30-60 days and thanked us again for being so organized and said she loved how we had organized everything with dates since that showed the strength and length of our relationship. She then walked us out.

20 minutes later after we were sitting down to get lunch, I got a notification that our card was in production.

My case is not a standard K1 case but H1B to green card via marriage (my wife and I met in University in 2010, remained friends till 2015 (I was out of the country from 2011-2015 since I moved back to my native country after my grad studies) and the company I worked for moved me for a work project to Seattle on H1B and we renkindled our in-person friendship again and started dating shortly after that and got engaged in Aug 2016 and got married in July 2017.So its a little different from most other cases but the basic principles of applying with all key evidence remains (and also ensuring you are super organized when you for your interview).

Special thanks to the seniors on this forum who helped me and gave me plenty of practical advice how to arrange my table of contents.Now I am on the train for the for removal of conditions and I am going to take the advice on the forum and ensure I build a even more solid case.

For those who are interested, this is how our final folder organization looked like
    [ATTACH]1578[/ATTACH]

Well done and congratulations! Your folders 1, 2 and 3 look great 👍
    Employment based AOS (EB1C) - San Bernardino office(CA)

JUL - 2018 - applications for I-485, I-765 and I-131 concurrent filing
    AUG - 2018 - bio metrics complete
    DEC - 2018 - I-765 & I-131 approved
    DEC - 2018 - combo cards received
    DEC - 2018 - courtesy letter for missing I-693
    DEC - 2018 - social security cards received
    DEC - 2018 - interview for I-485 scheduled
    JAN - 2019 - interview & on the spot approval
    FEB - 2019 - I-485 approved
    FEB - 2019 - green cards in hand 😎

Comment

1. Taking the photo
      --- How we met

[ATTACH]1578[/ATTACH]

Big CONGRAS and HAPPY FOR YOU
      (c)(9) - AOS, Current filing I130 I131 I485 I765, PD-12/21/18. Same-sex couple.

12/21/18 - AOS package delivered to Chicago office via FedEx.
      01/03/19 - 4 NOAs received.
      01/05/19 - Bio notification.
      01/14/19 - Bio done.

Comment

So just got the green card. Quite impressed that they sent the green card within a week of the interview.
        12/17/2017 - Got a RFE requesting my USC sponsors tax information for proof of sponsorship
        10/04/2018 - Status updated in the USCIS case tracker as "Ready to schedule interview"

Comment

So just got the green card. Quite impressed that they sent the green card within a week of the interview.
          Funny how that is the only part of the process that goes fast for everyone.
          Getting there can be more challenging...
          Employment based AOS (EB1C) - San Bernardino office(CA)

JUL - 2018 - applications for I-485, I-765 and I-131 concurrent filing
          AUG - 2018 - bio metrics complete
          DEC - 2018 - I-765 & I-131 approved
          DEC - 2018 - combo cards received
          DEC - 2018 - courtesy letter for missing I-693
          DEC - 2018 - social security cards received
          DEC - 2018 - interview for I-485 scheduled
          JAN - 2019 - interview & on the spot approval
          FEB - 2019 - I-485 approved
          FEB - 2019 - green cards in hand 😎

Comment

1. Taking the photo
            --- How we met

[ATTACH]1578[/ATTACH]

Thank you so much for sharing much details. I have used your table of contents as a guideline for organizing my folders. It worked out really well. I got interview last week. And just got my GC today
            Field Office at San Bernadino

PD at August 2nd
            Biometric appointment at August 28th
            Finger print review completed at August 29th
            Form I-485 is ready to schedule for interview at September 4th
            EAD card on hand at January 10th
            Interview was scheduled at Feb 4th 2019

Comment

Originally posted by xeradion00 View Post
              Thank you so much for sharing much details. I have used your table of contents as a guideline for organizing my folders. It worked out really well. I got interview last week. And just got my GC today
              Congratulations. Glad it was helpful.

Comment

Why do they ask for basically the same evidences most people send with the application?
                Salt Lake City-UT
                07/24/18- Documents received
                11/16- I-485,765 and 131rejected
                12/22- New I-485, 765 and 131 sent
                12/27- Documents delivered at 10 am (UPS)
                01/14- Credit Card was charged
                01/14- text messages for I-485 and I-131
                01/22- Received form I-765 back. Got rejected due to incorrect fee??
                01/23-Submitted I-765 again.
                01/31- Early Biometrics appointment
                02/01- Fingerprint Review was completed
                07/30- case is ready to be scheduled for ...
                08/31-EAD in hands
                10/22- Interview (approved)

Comment

Originally posted by NSTJ18 View Post
                  Why do they ask for basically the same evidences most people send with the application?
                  They just compare the original that you bring to the interview to the copies you sent with your application. I guess to make sure there is no forgery.
                  Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
                  Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
                  Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
                  ---
                  All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Enub4 View Post
                    They just compare the original that you bring to the interview to the copies you sent with your application. I guess to make sure there is no forgery.
                    That would apply for documents such as your birth certificate or passport. However for documents such as your joint bank accounts and other things which show proof o relationship, what they want to see is continuity. So if you sent statements from your bank account for the months of Jan 2017-July 2017 which have both your names for your initial application, what officers like to see is that you still are both on the same account and using it actively and contributing to it (and not just using it as a proof of relationship).

Comment

Hi, thanks for the very detailed information! I was wondering, how long did it take from the moment that your status changed on line to "interview has been scheduled" to the moment you received the letter??

Thanks!!

Comment

Wow. I pray for this. Mine is in about a week. Texas

Comment

Originally posted by mgc1986 View Post
                          Hi, thanks for the very detailed information! I was wondering, how long did it take from the moment that your status changed on line to "interview has been scheduled" to the moment you received the letter??

Thanks!!
                          Sorry have been on the forums for a while. It took about a week to get the letter

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X