Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSN - I94 Problem

Hi,

I entered US on 19th January and at the POE in NJ, I handed over the filled up I94 form.

My BAD: I had not entered the family name (which i did not know maps to surname in passport).

I was browsing through the forums and there are too many confusing things for me.

When I applied for SSN the officers queried the online SAVe system and told me that the last name is my given name.

This apparently is due to the fact that, I had not given the family name in I94.

How do I get the I94 and apparently the SAVE data corrected?

I do see there are 2 things here:

1. form I102 and waiting indefinitely for the records to be straightened out.

2. go to the nearest CBP deferred insepection site and get it corrected.

I currently live in Salt Lake city and when I called the Customs Border protection deferred inspection sites, they say they cannot do the correction here.

I am in real cross roads, Can someone throw some light on this? any similar experiences??

-Sathya

Anyone there?

Guys,

anyone there?

Subramanya , knowledgeable, topcatin any seniors any thoughts on this?

Comment

Looks like you pretty much figured out the options available. If you want it done quickly, you have to either cross the border (Mexico, no visa needed, just return back paying $6 for a new I-94) and get a new I-94 matching your visa.

Try going to the SLC CBP office at the airport instead of a phone conversation and see if they can change it for you.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Hi txh1b,

Thank you so much for the reply/suggestion.

I did go to the CBP office in slc and they said they cannot do the correction here.

Now, concerning the entry to Mexico - I am an alien (NOT from the US) legally permitted to work in the United States. Dont I need a visa to go across Mexico?

I am getting Paranoid now.

How about the option of Canada?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
        Sathya

Comment

Oficially, Mexico needs a visa for Indian citizens to enter. Unofficial rule is, no body cares. Even a visit to Mexican embassy for me in an attempt to get a visa (for stamping) proved futile as they suggested that I can enter and come back as long as I dont go past 20 miles/km (not sure of the units here) from the border.

Having said that, border-crossing to Mexico and returning to US for a new I-94 is not an option to be paranoid about. You can go to CBP at the border and ask if they can issue you a new I-94 and explain the name problem. Make sure you make it sound simple as they might think you are upto something.

Canada needs a visa and can be done as well. Before I forget, SSN or not, the employer with a good HR system can pay a H1b employee and it is the law.

Good Luck!

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Hi Txh1b,

Thanks again.

I would try my luck in the CBP Mexico.

Thanks,
            Sathya

Comment

Hi TxH1b,

Just a last question.

Is Tijuana CBP a good option (supposedly the closest from Slc - 830miles )?

Can I just go across the border and immediately return back (realistically, just peep out and come back in?)

Thanks,
              Sathya

Comment

I have been through Tijuana (not for the same reason as yours) in the past and it was not a problem to enter or come back. There is train service until the border just outside US immigration (San Ysidro).

When you return, you return the old I-94 at the same post where you get the new I-94. When I visited, they were printing the I-94 (not hand written) as an experiment for US VISIT program. Not sure what the procedure now is.

Yes, you can go through a one sided revolving door into Mexico, walk through a herd of taxis waiting there, cross the road, come back to US. Carry all documents of your current valid stay in US, employer docs, any supporting docs from SSA regarding your name error etc.

Good Luck!
                Last edited by txh1b; 04-03-2008, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Look at https://www.immihelp.com/usa-visas/v...o/tijuana.html
                  Immihelp Support
                  No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Hi,

I did see the link. My case is little different in the sense, I cannot take any kind of consulate appointments, since I dont need one.

because,

1. I have a valid visa till 2010

2. I-94 till 2010 with a error which I made (family name not filled in)

so, all I got to do is as i said earlier, peep into mexico and come out immediately.

I know its quiet confusing and thats what I am currently undergoing.

so I am unsure if I will get a mexican border pass or a visa for this.

-sathya

Comment

The mexican border pass is a joke. These border pass consultants just do it for getting money from the uninformed. Legally, it is not a valid document for Indians. If you want to go by the rules, a visa is needed for all Indians to go into Mexico. No one checks for the visa or the borderpass if you cross by foot which is what many people do.

You can just cross, come back with a new I-94 properly filled in.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
                        These border pass consultants just do it for getting money from the uninformed.
                        I was made a fool by the propaganda of Mexico Permit. Ain't gonna do that again.
                        Check out H1 FAQs first!
                        http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Originally posted by DMX17
                          I was made a fool by the propaganda of Mexico Permit. Ain't gonna do that again.
                          Don't worry, I too fell prey for it the first time for F1-H1 stamping as I was going along with the popular practice and shelled out a wasteful 100 bucks or so. Now I am more informed than then. Have visited 2 times since then and never went with the border pass/permit crap.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
                            I have been through Tijuana (not for the same reason as yours) in the past and it was not a problem to enter or come back. There is train service until the border just outside US immigration (San Ysidro).

When you return, you return the old I-94 at the same post where you get the new I-94. When I visited, they were printing the I-94 (not hand written) as an experiment for US VISIT program. Not sure what the procedure now is.

Yes, you can go through a one sided revolving door into Mexico, walk through a herd of taxis waiting there, cross the road, come back to US. Carry all documents of your current valid stay in US, employer docs, any supporting docs from SSA regarding your name error etc.

Good Luck!
                            Hi TxH1b,

A mug of beer to you .

All went fine, drove from slc to San Ysidro(11 hours non-stop 2 drivers including me), parked my car went to Tijuana did a immediate U-Turn to join the queue to get back to United States.

Got into the PERMITS building explained my situation and the officer was friendly and immediately issued me a I94. Paid 6$ for the new PRINTED I94 came out and started off from San Ysidro.

On the way back stayed in Las Vegas. (A small celebration).

I am much obliged to you TxH1b.

Thanks for all your patient replies.

Hopefully my records must be consistent now and I should be able to get a social security number very soon.

-Sathya

Comment

Great! Glad it worked out for you and I could help.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X