Re-entering USA on B1/B2 with less than 6 months Indian passport validity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-entering USA on B1/B2 with less than 6 months Indian passport validity

I have a 10 year B1/B2 US visa valid until July 2014. I have visited US 3 times earlier (twice on business and once on pleasure).

I'm visiting US again for business meeting later this month (April) or early May. I will be there for 2-3 weeks. My passport expires in July 2012. Would there be any issues -

1) While leaving and re-entering India since the passport is valid only until July 2012?
    2) While entering USA since the passport is valid only until July 2012?

I'm planning to renew the passport once I'm back in India (after May 20th).

Prasad

Not an issue entering or leaving any country as long as passport is valid.

Comment

Great to know....just one more question

Great to know that I can leave and re-enter India without any issues. Thanks so much!!

Also, since India is part of the six-month club, having less than 6 month validity on an Indian passport should not matter while entering USA in May 2012 on a valid B1/B2 visa (and leaving before passport expiry in July 2012) should not matter....is it correct understanding?

Comment

Yes, you are correct.
        The only issue with a nearing expiry date on your passport is that you will get an I-94 with a short stay ( only till the expiry date on your passport).
        Since your planned stay is short anyway, so it should not be a problem with you.

Comment

Thanks peace999

Thanks so much!! That makes me feel confident about this trip and also peaceful about the travel!

Thanks again!

Comment

It was fine

From my experience, everything went well with the travel to USA.

There were no questions raised on less than 6-month validity, except during boarding at India - the airlines asked if I was aware that my passport would expire soon. I said 'yes' and that's it.

At the port of entry, the officer mentioned to renew the passport once I'm back in India, but allowed me as the passport was valid throughout the intended period of stay. That's it.

Wanted to share for everyone's benefit.

Comment

Thanks Prasad. That's really beneficial. I am in the same situation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X