My B1 visa process and interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My B1 visa process and interview

It has been three months since I visited US. Many experiences on this blog helped me to prepare well and it all worked out fine. So, I got back here to share my visa experience (I owe this ). Don?t worry, I won?t miss anything as I remember the whole process

Location ? Hyderabad
    Visa Category ? B1

Fingerprint and Photograph: 15th Feb at 15.30
    I went formally dressed. I guess that is not required. As long as you have the shirt that you want to be on the visa photo. 15mins process. Nothing to be prepared or worried.

Visa Interview process: 16th Feb at 10:00
    I wore a checks (blue-white) formal shirt and a black trouser. I have seen no one with a tie or in a suit.
    Reached 30min early. Went inside at the scheduled time and they made me sit in the waiting area. Took one hour to get to the counter. It was a window with visa officer on the other side of the glass with a small slit to pass relevant documentation, if asked.
    I was asked to produce the invite letter by my organization and to wear the company ID tag in the neck (I chose to ignore the second one). I went there kept the letter in front of the VO. He didn?t even look at it and the below conversation happened:

VO: What is your name?
    ME: ABC

VO: Which company do you work for?
    ME: XYZ

VO: What does your company do?
    ME: It is into providing IT services

VO: What do you do at XYZ?
    ME: I work as a consultant for analytics.

VO: When did you join?
    ME: 8th Feb [I joined the company on 8th and got the interview date on 15th. Client asked me to be there by 20th or cancel the trip. Everyone said that is impossible, however I got the date so always try]

VO: You just joined and they want to send you to US! Why not someone else from your team?
    ME: The have just started offering analytics as a service and I am the 1st member in my team. My manager is already there and I am required.

VO: Where to you want to go in US?
    ME: Indianapolis, IN

VO: Why do you want to go to US?
    ME: We are deploying our analytics tool to one of our client QWE in USA and QWE has multiple customers. So, there would be meetings with them for customization and tweaks. We would have meetings with the DBA?s for data connection and as there is cost involved, there are meetings scheduled with the senior leadership of the company.

VO: Whats your salary?
    ME: 18L

VO: Did you ever travel outside India?
    ME: Yes, I went to Malaysia and Indonesia for my honeymoon. [Letting him know it was for my honeymoon was not necessary, I just added that so that he is aware that I am married, and assumed that might increase my chances of getting the VISA]

VO: Your visa is approved sir, have a safe trip
    ME: Thank you

He didn?t ask for a single document, nor did he look at the invite letter. But I would suggest ? be prepared and carry everything you can, just in case.

Best of luck to all the Visa aspirants.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X