# DS160 Present work/ Training/ Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• # DS160 Present work/ Training/ Education

Situation: I am in India right now. I worked for my previous employer from Feb 2019 to Sept 2019 and left due to family reasons. I couldn't join another postdoc position in due to pandemic and and one from USA due to 212e rule (2 year home country physical presence requirement). Now I have postdoc position in USA and waiver from 212e both, so currently applying for J1-visa. As current employment starts from March 15 2021, my current job status is unemployed (for last 15 months). While filling DS160, I am stuck at a point in the section "Primary occupation" (field of work for last 10 years),
    1) If I select the primary occupation as "research", which I have been doing for 11 years before leaving last job, then it is mandatory to fill the information of current employer. Technically, I am still not employed there yet, but even if I add the details of the employer who has offered me the position, it isn’t accepting the date, for obvious reason.

2) If I select primary occupation as "not employed", which seems right, it is asking for an explanation.
    As I understand, this part is the basis on which one is applying for the J1 visa. If I select "not employed", does it mean that I am currently applying for a visa without the job offer in my hand. Which consequently might lead to rejection of visa. There is no option for “primary occupation: researcher” and currently “not employed”. In order to avoid misunderstanding or misinterpretation, what is the best way to explain this. Has anybody faced this situation before? Any help or previous experiences will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X