J1 visa approved but not issued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1 visa approved but not issued?

Hello, I have been as a medical resident on J1 in US for past 1.5 years and recently went back to my country for a vacation. I interviewed in embassy to renew my J1 visa, officer approved it on spot and stamped my DS2019, also told me that passport would be ready later this week (interview was on Monday). Since then, I have bee checking CEAC and the status still stays APPROVED instead of ISSUED and last date case updated is still the day of my interview. Passport is not delivered either to me or to postal office.

I had to change my flight and everything, but now it is interfering with my job. Consular office says, they can't do anything and to just wait. It has been 4 business days since interview if I don't count the day of the interview itself.
    I am getting nervous as the officer was very understanding on the spot and told me clearly that passport would be ready soon. My collegues from the same country, didn't have any problems as well, they picked up passports in 3-4 business days while mine still says APPROVED instead of ISSUED.

If anyone had an experience with this type of thing, please reply.
    Thank you!​

I understand your frustration, it's stressful when processing times are unpredictable. While I can't offer an exact solution, here are some suggestions:

1. Contact the Embassy: Try reaching out to the embassy again, politely explain your situation and the impact on your job. Emphasize the discrepancy between the officer's statement and the current delay.

2. CEAC Inquiry: Submit an inquiry through the CEAC website outlining your situation and requesting additional information on the processing timeline.

3. Contact Congressional Representative: Consider contacting your local Congressional representative for assistance. They may be able to inquire about your case with the State Department.

4. Explore Emergency Visa Options: If your job is seriously jeopardized, explore emergency visa options such as an H-1B transfer. Consult with an immigration attorney for guidance.

5. Keep Records: Document all communication with the embassy and CEAC, including dates and contact information.

Remember, processing times can fluctuate due to various factors. 4 business days isn't necessarily unusual, but your colleagues' experiences may not reflect the norm. Stay calm, be persistent, and seek
    owespeedtest professional voojio advice if needed.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by KushnomGhatak; 02-16-2024, 07:24 AM.

Comment

According to the U.S. Department of State, the processing time for J1 visa renewals can vary depending on the embassy or consulate, but it typically takes 1-2 weeks. In your case, it's been 4 business days since your interview, which is still within the expected range.

The fact that your passport has not been delivered yet does not necessarily mean that there is a problem with your application. It's possible that the embassy or consulate is simply experiencing delays due to high volume or staffing shortages.

I recommend that you continue to check the CEAC website for updates on your application status. You can also try contacting the embassy or consulate again to see if they have any more information for you.

In the meantime, try to be patient and avoid making any unnecessary
      koows and developerbook or echat travel plans until you have your visa in hand.

Comment

4 business days is longer than the typical turnaround time for passport delivery after a J1 visa interview, it's not unheard of for there to be delays.

Here are a few things you can do:
        • Continue to check CEAC: The status may update to "Issued" soon, even if it hasn't changed yet.
        • Contact the consular office: You mentioned they weren't helpful before, but try calling or emailing them again. Be polite and explain your situation, but avoid being accusatory.
        • Contact your J1 sponsor: They may be able to help you communicate with the consular office or advocate on your behalf.
        • Consider reaching out to a visa consultant: They may have experience with similar situations and can offer guidance.

In the meantime, try to relax and be patient. It's likely that your koowspin passport echatrandom will be delivered soon. Here are some images to help you relax:

I hope this helps!

Comment

I understand this situation must be frustrating! Here are some suggestions:
          1. Try contacting the embassy again: Explain your situation (changed flight, job affected) and politely ask if there's anything they can do to expedite the issuance of your passport.
          2. Contact the National Visa Center (NVC): The NVC might have additional information on processing timelines. You can find their contact details on the Department of State website: https://travel.state.gov/
          3. Consider contacting your home country's embassy/consulate in the US: They might be able to offer some assistance or guidance.
          4. Search online forums/communities: Search online forums koows or echat communities for J-1 visa holders. You might find others who have experienced similar delays and can offer insights.

It's unusual for the status to stay in "APPROVED" for this long after the officer mentioned a quick turnaround. Persisting with the embassy and exploring other resources might help move things along.

Here's hoping your situation gets resolved quickly!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X