H1B extension stamping experience at Tijuana Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B extension stamping experience at Tijuana Mexico

I went for my H1B extension stamping at Tijuana Mexico on 21st september.
    I had to stay there for 2 days because of Employment verification, but anyway I got the my passport on the 3rd day.

Came to San Diego/Tijuana Border post on Monday Morning 7.30 Am, There is McDonald restaurant and opposite to that you can find a building and towards left side will be the pathway, I just followed the people going that way to enter Mexico. The path goes round the building and takes you to the revolving gate where you will find US security guys, just passed the gate and then there were two Mexican solders, who checked my Luggage.
    Then went straight where there was another revolving gate, passed through it and you will find cab guys dressed in yellow and they will ask if you want taxi, get into the yellow taxi and tell the guy to take taxi to Banamex bank near the US embassy. There is another old Banamex bank which is some what far from the consulate. Tell him to take the one which is near the US consulate. The taxi will pass from the US consulate and you will reach the
    Banamex bank, which will be opposite to the Rock Disco, or near the Abraham Lincon statue.

Bank time is 9AM to 4PM. I waited till bank opened. I took the token and sat in the seats till my number was displayed. When called told the banker, I wanted to pay for US embassy visa fee. They asked me to pay $146 and gave passport, got the receipt and passport back, checked the receipt for my passport number on it. Came out of the bank, went towards the
    Abraham Lincon Statue, and crossed the road went towards the Rock Disco (rock like structure).
    Walk straight from Rock Disco and you will find car parking area inside which a small shop will be there, ask them you want to keep your luggage, they will charge $3 and will give a receipt for the bag. Don’t take any electronic devices with you. Took all my documents and went straight on the same road, you will find US consulate on the right side.
    Stand in the line to take the token, after security check you will be sent inside, where you will be told to sit in the chairs. After some time, people will move from chair to chair in a sequence then you will go to the inside building where you need to wait till your token number is displayed.
    When my turn came went to the room, gave finger prints and again I was told to go outside the building and sit in the chairs. Now again people will move from chair to chair in a sequence then you will go to the inside building where you need to wait till your token number and window number to go is displayed. Upon your turn go to the respective window where the VO officer will take your interview.

The VO asked general questions like:

1. Where do you work and work details?
    2. Who is your employer?
    3. Do you work for a client?
    4. Proof about working at client place?
    5. Job duties

I work for a client through my employer, so I did answer all the questions and showed the client letter, company badge, some awards and photos at client place etc.
    As I work for a client and not employed directly by a client, VO said they need to verify my employment details, gave me a white paper on which it was written to appear for interview again the next day at 10 AM on 22nd Sep as it was already late in the evening.

On the next day I went directly to the counter said I had appointment at 10AM, they said they will check with the VO and told me
    to wait for some time, they were speaking with the VO about my appointment. Later they said my visa was approved and I can collect my passport at 3 PM same day. I was quite happy that I presented all the documents which VO asked and it was more that
    enough to prove that I did work at client place.
    I went at 3 PM to the same counter to collect my passport. The girls there who give tokens told me that they were very sorry that they could not give the passport as the documents are
    not yet verified and asked me to come the next day at 10 AM. I asked them why it was told to me in the morning that my visa was approved, they just said they were sorry for the miscommunication.

So I had to go back to my hotel. The same day US Consulate office
    called my Employer and also my Manager and verified my details that if I really working or not. US consulate office also sent mails with some questionnaire to both my Employer and my
    Manager at client place. My Employer and my manager replied to their questions and also answered their calls
    accordingly. The next day in the morning I went to the consulate counter and told about my appointment at 10AM, they told me to go inside. I just had to go through the security scan then I went
    directly to the inside gate and told the security guard I had appointment at 10Am(no need to sit with the people sitting outside in the chairs). Went inside the room, there will be a guy in the rightside of the room as soon as you enter, where you need to show the White letter and tell him about the appointment. That guy told me to sit in the chairs in the corner side which are meant for those who are waiting for verification. The same guy will
    tell the VO(same VO who interviewed me first day) that you have come. After some time VO called my Name, so I went to the VO's window, said , Hello, the VO told me that my Visa is approved and I can collect
    it in the evening at 3PM. Thanked him and went back to my hotel.

Again came back at 3PM to the consulate counter and colleted my passport.
    Took the taxi from the consulate(costs $5) and got down at the US border, went to the PERMITS buildning(right side), asked for new I 94, border officers collected US address where I stay in US, then he gave I 94, paid $6 at the counter.
    Went out from there, now after few feets, there was a checkpost where you need to show your passport, then your bags will be scanned and from there you will cross into US.
    Said goodbye to Mexico and thanked god that I am in US again

Experience from the Trip:
    1)Do Not plan to go to Tijuana if you do not have a project or not working.
    2)Plan to Tijuana only if you are confident that your employer and your Manager at client
    place will support for the verification done by Us consulate. Make sure you take all the
    documents to prove you work at client palce.
    3)Tell your manager and employer that they might receive calls and mails from US consulate
    and to give reply as soon as possible, any delays here will lead you to stay longer at
    Tijuana.
    4)Stay calm, dont worry much and be mentally prepared to say in Tijuana if the need arises
    5)If you are employed directly by known clients, getting Visa is like a cake walk. All
    problems are for those working as contractors.
    6)Do not book return flight until you get your passport with Visa stamped.

Some Tips:
    1)Banamex bank fees is $146, bank time is 9AM to 4PM
    2)Take mexican visa if possible(http://www.mexonline.com/consulate.htm)
    3)There is a hotel Real Del Reo($67/night) just back side of the consulate( as you walk towards Amraham lincoln statue from consulate turn left at Rock Disco, walk few feets then turn left go straight you will find a new white building of the hotel). There is a Marriot hotel($67/night), but you need to take taxi($5/trip) from consulate. Also there is Camino Real hotel too near consulate which you can explore.
    4)You can keep your bags in the stores near the consulate for $5, there is one more in the
    parking lot for $3, just lock you bag, give the bag to them and ask for a receipt.

Documents Needed:

1. All your Experience Letters
    2. Your Educational certificates
    3. Payslips
    4. Bankstatemets
    5. Tax Returns
    6. Client Letter
    7. Company Badge(good to have)
    8. Photos at client place(good to have)
    9. Employment letter and letter to Us consulate from employer
    10. I797, I129, Labor documents etc

Good Luck!!