state taxes refund - J1 Visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• state taxes refund - J1 Visa

I worked as an intern for about 12 months during 2013 under a J-1 visa, and I'm dealing with a company called taxback.com to get my tax refund. I recently got an email from them telling that they received my state refund for 2013 with the value of $237 which after deduction becomes $121.

That sounded very few to me so I contacted a friend who used to work for the same company as an intern, and tried to investigate how much they paid him. He said they gave him about $550 for his state tax refund! What's even more confusing is that my friend worked only for 7 months during 2013. We both have the exact same salary, the only difference is that I worked longer (12 months in my case).

I contacted taxback.com to get an explanation, and their answer was the more you get as annual income the less you get back from your taxes... that's the general rule they said.

This sounded very unfair to me, and did not really convince me, which is the reason I'm asking my question here.

Anybody can confirm or deny their explanation? (I can provide my W-2 if needed)

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X