No announcement yet.

US Visa Requirements for semester-long research assistantship at US university

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Visa Requirements for semester-long research assistantship at US university

Here's my situation: I'm a fourth-year undergraduate at a university in the United Arab Emirates. Next semester (February to June 2015), as part of my undergraduate curriculum, I have to conduct some research and write a thesis paper. Now as my university in the UAE doesn't really have the facilities with regards to the subject I'm interested in, I applied to a lab at a university in the US for a research assistantship/internship position, and I've been accepted. That's the good part.

The bad part is, I'm not quite what visa and corresponding supporting documentation I'd need. I've read in quite a few places that study in the United States requires an F or an M visa. But bear in mind that I'm going to the US not for full-time study, but merely for a semester as a research assistant, and my undergraduate accreditation is entirely from my university in the UAE. Some places tell me that what I'd need is a J-1 or a J-2 visa instead, and I need a DS-2019 form from the university I'd be at, as I'd be an 'exchange visitor'. Would my research assistantship/internship program qualify for this visa type?

What kind of form or documentation would I need from the university in the US to apply for the visa? Are people applying under this category (research or short-term scholar) allowed to be self-funded? Our can I just forget all this and apply for a regular visitor (B) visa instead, as I'm not getting any sort of degree from the American university?

There's another factor in all this. It's highly likely that I'll be applying to graduate school in the US as well for admission in Fall 2015, for which I'd certainly need an I-20 form and an F or an M visa. The application for the full-time F student visa will highly likely take place after my application decisions arrive, i.e. in March-April, so I'd be in the US for my research assistantship/internship then. But would applying for the short-term J visa jeopardize my chances of getting the F visa?

I'm sorry for the incredibly long question, but I'm just so uncertain about all this! Thank you so much.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X