Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F1 renewal during OPT went to admin. processing after approval - advice & precedents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 renewal during OPT went to admin. processing after approval - advice & precedents?

Hi,

I am an Electrical Engineer working in TX as part of OPT after graduating from my BS program last Fall.

I had to travel to my native Turkey for a two-week visit due to familial reasons, and because my F-1 had expired, I reapplied at the consulate here (Istanbul, TR) on my first day here. My OPT status is valid for another 5 months and I am also eligible for the 2-year STEM extension.

My visa was approved during my consulate visit and I was given the approval paper. However, after a couple days, I received an email from the consulate saying my application was put on administrative processing, was given a form to fill out (mostly asking for addresses and social media accounts) and my passport was subsequently returned today without a visa in it. The email also said:

For some applications, administrative processing can take at least 3 months.
    Obviously I'm terrified at the prospect of being stuck in Turkey for 3 months and worried about what consequences this might have re: my job in the States.

So I wanted to come out here and ask if anyone has had a similar experience (admin. processing after approval, w/ F-1 and OPT, etc) and how long it took for this to be resolved.

Also any advice re: the situation is appreciated. Not sure if there's anything I can do but wait at this point but might as well give it a shot.

Thanks!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X