Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using previous F1 visa that hasn't yet expired

Hello all,

I went to the U.S. for master's in 2017, and I got a five-year, multiple entry F1 visa that is valid till June 2022. I returned to my home country after the master's in July 2019. I was wondering if I could still use the same F1 visa for my PhD for Fall 2020, after getting a new SEVIS number and I-20 and paying for the new SEVIS number, or whether I should apply for a new visa altogether.

I sent an email to both my previous university and my upcoming PhD university, and replies from both the sources were that I can use the same F1 visa, if it has not expired yet, given I pay for the new SEVIS ID fee.

However, to officially confirm one last time, I emailed the US Embassy in my home country. They asked for my passport and scanned copies of old and new I-20s, and responded, "As you have already completed the course and applying for another program, you should apply for new visa."

I again asked my previous and new university officials, and they again stood by their former response, and gave the number of the director, if there is any problem during immigration. I also asked them about the d/s sign on my immigration stamp from 2017, and they said it is a necessary stamp, and it means as long as I maintain the F1 status, the visa will continue with be eligible for me.

Do you think the person from the embassy has mistaken the situation a bit?

Since the embassy is closed (or at least not accepting visa appointments) right now, it would be an immense relief for me if I could use my previous F1 visa, so that I could just fly as soon as international flights resume.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts...

Thanks so much!

Tell me what documents do I need to get a student visa?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X