Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Married to a US citizen with Pending Asylum application.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married to a US citizen with Pending Asylum application.

Hello,
    I came to the US in January 2015 legally with an F-1 VISA, I was inspected by an immigration officer at the port of entry and given an I-94 Number.
    I filled for Political Asylum 5 months after entering the US. My Asylum is still pending. I went for my Biometric appointment for my asylum application and since then I haven't heard from them. I went to the Asylum office last month to check my case and they told me that I have not yet been scheduled for an interview.
    I met my wife(she is a US citizen) at school, we felt in love and started dating in June 2015, I proposed to her in December 2015 and we got married in June 2016.
    We filed for an Adjustment of status in August 2016, the whole package I-130, I-485, lifesWork authorization and Travel Document. I went to my biometric appointment for this new application.
    I receive my working authorization card and travel document in October 2016.
    We also went to our interview at the USCIS office in Downtown Los Angeles in November 2016.
    During the interview, we were together, my wife and I. The officer asked us different questions about lives, relationship, plans for the future and at the end he asked questions about my Asylum application.
    He told us that he was going to approve our application because everything in our marriage seems genuine and bona fide.
    Then he advises me to withdraw my asylum application so that it will make things easy for him to approve our I-485, Then I told him that I read on on website online that withdrawing my asylum application before my I-485 is approved can jeopardize my adjustment of status. Then he said that I should wait for him to review the asylum application, then he was going to approve my I-485.
    We left his office very confident because he said we should be receiving an approval letter in the mail within 3 weeks.
    It has been 5 weeks now and he hasn't received any notice and the status of my application online has not changed, it still talks about my interview date.
    I am writing here today to know if there is anyone who has ever gone through a similar process and what is the best thing to do?
    Should I withdraw my asylum application or just wait until I hear from them.
    I took an Info-pass appointment today, went to the USCIS office and I was told by this guy looking on a computer that the officer has not yet reviewed my asylum application.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Similar case waiting for interview

Hi Jambreaker, I am also in pending asylum, entered as F1 and married to US citizen. I applied AOS with PD 6/16. Did you hear back about your case? I hope you succeed in your green card soon. Would you mind if you share me your experiance? Any advice?
    Thanks

Comment

Hello CHU

Originally posted by Chu27 View Post
      Hi Jambreaker, I am also in pending asylum, entered as F1 and married to US citizen. I applied AOS with PD 6/16. Did you hear back about your case? I hope you succeed in your green card soon. Would you mind if you share me your experiance? Any advice?
      Thanks
      I am still waiting. I haven't heard from USCIS again, I schedule an Infopass apointment and when there but they didn't tell me anything helpful

Comment

Please let me know your update in your Case Jambreaker and Chu

I enter USA on F-1 visa and got married to US citizen last month, I do have pending aslyum. Did you guys are done with your application. please guys you info will be great help for me. God bless u all.

Comment

Originally posted by easyworld View Post
          I enter USA on F-1 visa and got married to US citizen last month, I do have pending aslyum. Did you guys are done with your application. please guys you info will be great help for me. God bless u all.
          My I-485 was approved and I have my green card in hand now.
          I will go ahead and withdraw my asylum application now.
          Thank GOD

Comment

similar case about to submit papers

Originally posted by Chu27 View Post
            Thanks
            We are having a similar case. My husband came to the country via F-1 student visa and has pending Asylum application now. He had an interview with the asylum officer in December 2016 but still waiting on decision now. I wanted to apply the marriage based green card for him, and we are putting the papers together now. How's your case going along, Chu27? Any good news on your application? Did you file the I-130 along with I-485 and other forms (i.e. 765, etc) all together in one package?

Comment

Originally posted by pandabear555 View Post
              We are having a similar case. My husband came to the country via F-1 student visa and has pending Asylum application now. He had an interview with the asylum officer in December 2016 but still waiting on decision now. I wanted to apply the marriage based green card for him, and we are putting the papers together now. How's your case going along, Chu27? Any good news on your application? Did you file the I-130 along with I-485 and other forms (i.e. 765, etc) all together in one package?
              I would wait for the asylum case to run its course(if there is merit) or at least wait until you have been married 2 years before filing for him. There are several advantages of going that route. Plus its cheaper

Comment

Accelerate the Asylum interview decision?

Originally posted by azblk View Post
                I would wait for the asylum case to run its course(if there is merit) or at least wait until you have been married 2 years before filing for him. There are several advantages of going that route. Plus its cheaper
                Thanks AZBLK. Would you or anyone think that by notifying the Asylum office that my husband now is married to a USC would accelerate his Asylum application decision? Would that in any way have a positive impact on the decision making of his Asylum case? I was thinking, maybe if the Asylum office knew that he's now married to a USC, and he would get his green card any way, soon or later, maybe he would approve my husband's Asylum application?

Comment

Originally posted by pandabear555 View Post
                  Thanks AZBLK. Would you or anyone think that by notifying the Asylum office that my husband now is married to a USC would accelerate his Asylum application decision? Would that in any way have a positive impact on the decision making of his Asylum case? I was thinking, maybe if the Asylum office knew that he's now married to a USC, and he would get his green card any way, soon or later, maybe he would approve my husband's Asylum application?
                  No i dont think so. The two are not connected in anyway.
                  However if you husband wins his asylum case then he wont need i-130 ( save $585 or whatever the fee is cant remember), can request fee waiver for i-485 since he is an asylee (saving another $1100, gets a 10 year green card ( no need for removal of conditions and saving $595 for the i-751). So if he is patient and his claim has merit, he should wait it out. on the money front alone there is significant savings. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by jambreaker View Post
                    My I-485 was approved and I have my green card in hand now.
                    I will go ahead and withdraw my asylum application now.
                    Thank GOD
                    I'm in the same position, what should I do? Could you advice me what did you do to get approval?
                    Thank you

Comment

any decision yet

Originally posted by AVZ2017 View Post
                      I'm in the same position, what should I do? Could you advice me what did you do to get approval?
                      Thank you

Hi, same situation with you. any Decision yet?

Comment

Did you attend your asylum or AOS interview yet?

Hi,
                        Could you give me more details on your case? Did you attend your asylum interview? Did you attend your marriage interview?

Originally posted by AVZ2017 View Post
                        Thank you

Comment

YES I did attend my marriage interview

My case may be different than yours. My asylum applications have been pending for years, I never had an asylum initial interview. I got married to a US citizen, filed for adjustment of status, went to my marriage interview then 8 months later, my marriage application was approved.

Hi,
                          Could you give me more details on your case? Did you attend your asylum interview? Did you attend your marriage interview?

Comment

Pls Help, an asylee getting Married to a USC

My case may be different than yours. My asylum applications have been pending for years, I never had an asylum initial interview. I got married to a US citizen, filed for adjustment of status, went to my marriage interview then 8 months later, my marriage application was approved.
                            I think we have similar case, i have never had an interview too and not gotten a response from them but my husband wants to file for me, pls i need advice on if i should withdraw my asylum case and then file or just go ahead and file for my green card through marriage with my case still pending?

Comment

Originally posted by funkybear View Post
                              I think we have similar case, i have never had an interview too and not gotten a response from them but my husband wants to file for me, pls i need advice on if i should withdraw my asylum case and then file or just go ahead and file for my green card through marriage with my case still pending?
                              you can have both petitions going at the same time

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X