Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i-485 - reckless driving conviction ($180 fine) NO ARREST, choose yes or no??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i-485 - reckless driving conviction ($180 fine) NO ARREST, choose yes or no??

Hi there, been trying to read up as much as possible - Im busy filing for a green card and VERY confused, I was charged back in 2008 overseas for reckless driving, NO alcohol or drugs were involved and I was not arrested. The state merely charged me and fined me. It was a dark road with any lights/blinkers/signs - after a small hill it does a 90 degree turn with zero warning, ironically i did not even leave the road (i do drive very well). Unfortunately my friend fell off my pickup and knocked his head and was concussed (is ok now).

I have no idea whether to answer yes or no - the wording is confusing. I have never had any other legal issue / convictions. Ive told immigration officers about the conviction twice on re-entering the US and they've never batted an eye at it (i always carried the original police clearance documents).

So im not sure what to mark on the form? I will be including the papers and description in my application - would the officer understand if I selected "no" - and then in my letter explained why, since it says: "Except for traffic violations"? Or should I select yes? will that basically put me in the criminal category forever?

thanks

At my AOS interview, immigration officer asked me why I didn't state on my application that I broke the law (after he saw I had a moving violation - speeding) - That's when I told him it's stated on the form "Except for traffic violations" - he looked at the form and said "you're right".

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can advice you.

Good Luck!

Comment

so spoke to an immigration lawyer and she said since my convictions are traffic offenses without arrests/drugs/alcohol) I should omit them and select no on the i-485 AND i-765 work permit application - if they do make any inquiries ill show the documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroMan View Post
        so spoke to an immigration lawyer and she said since my convictions are traffic offenses without arrests/drugs/alcohol) I should omit them and select no on the i-485 AND i-765 work permit application - if they do make any inquiries ill show the documentation.
        The only reason Immigration Officer saw my speeding violation was because I used an abstract of my license to prove that I was in the country before December 2000. They may not even see yours. At least you have police clearance so don't worry too much :-)

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X