Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I-551 stamped in passport but have not received GC yet, safe to switch jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-551 stamped in passport but have not received GC yet, safe to switch jobs?

My I-485 was approved on May 3, 2018. I got I-551 stamped on passport On June 21, 2018. As of today, my (and wife?s) GC has not been produced yet and still waiting to get them in the mail. Currently in talks with potential new employer.

My question is, is it safe to switch jobs under above circumstances? I would be with sponsoring employer about 2.5 months after 485 approval, I have 551 stamped on passport but no physical green card for me or my wife. My understanding, and as explained by immigration officer during Infopass, 551 stamped on passport is exact same thing as having the physical green card on hand.

Anyway, very nervous about the whole situation and would greatly appreciate your input and experience with similar situations.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Almost_Done View Post
    My I-485 was approved on May 3, 2018. I got I-551 stamped on passport On June 21, 2018. As of today, my (and wife?s) GC has not been produced yet and still waiting to get them in the mail. Currently in talks with potential new employer.

My question is, is it safe to switch jobs under above circumstances? I would be with sponsoring employer about 2.5 months after 485 approval, I have 551 stamped on passport but no physical green card for me or my wife. My understanding, and as explained by immigration officer during Infopass, 551 stamped on passport is exact same thing as having the physical green card on hand.

Anyway, very nervous about the whole situation and would greatly appreciate your input and experience with similar situations.

Thanks!
    The I-551 stamp is literally the equivalent of your green card. Here are all the acceptable documents you can present for the I-9. https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/ac...able-documents
    Scroll down and you will see that Foreign passport + I-551 stamp is an acceptable combination.

If your state offers Real ID driver's licenses, then you can show your I-551 stamp. The Real ID driver's license will show that you are a legal permanent resident. That way you don't have to carry your passport around.

All the best,

USCFFS
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
      The I-551 stamp is literally the equivalent of your green card. Here are all the acceptable documents you can present for the I-9. https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/ac...able-documents
      Scroll down and you will see that Foreign passport + I-551 stamp is an acceptable combination.

If your state offers Real ID driver's licenses, then you can show your I-551 stamp. The Real ID driver's license will show that you are a legal permanent resident. That way you don't have to carry your passport around.

All the best,

USCFFS
      Thank you so much for your answer. I didn?t know about the Real ID feature and apparently, my state does offer it.
      Thanks also for providing info on the I 551 stamped on my passport.

Comment

Originally posted by Almost_Done View Post
        Thank you so much for your answer. I didn?t know about the Real ID feature and apparently, my state does offer it.
        Thanks also for providing info on the I 551 stamped on my passport.
        You?re welcome! Glad to be of assistance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X