Married or maiden name on forms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married or maiden name on forms?

I know this has been asked many times over and I apologize for asking it again but I am looking for others in my situation that filed recently and care to share their experience. I will soon file concurrently I-130 and I-485. Through marriage, the state of WA does not specify on the marriage certificate what name the spouses will bear after the marriage, which is why I am a bit concerned. I want to take my husband's name and I will update my Driver License but I do not have time to request a new passport at my home country's embassy. My current passport, I-20, I-94, and virtually all documents bear my maiden name. I want to file the USCIS forms with my husband's name since that will be the name I intend to use from now on. Will it be a problem if I file the forms under my husband's last name and all my other documents are under my maiden name? Thanks for the help!
    RoC (I-751) Application, filed from Houston TX
    10/24/2021 - USPS delivered the package in AZ
    10/27/2021 - Text from USCIS with receipt number, check cashed. Assigned to the Texas Processing Center

INITIAL AOS from F-1, married to USC, filed in Seattle WA

09/24/2018 - Package delivered to PO Box (PD)
    10/22 - Early bio walk-in
    11/15 - New card is being produced (I-765)
    11/26 - EAD combo & SS card
    01/13/2020 - Interview
    01/23/2020 - Case Approved, Card Mailed.

Originally posted by seattle2903 View Post
    I know this has been asked many times over and I apologize for asking it again but I am looking for others in my situation that filed recently and care to share their experience. I will soon file concurrently I-130 and I-485. Through marriage, the state of WA does not specify on the marriage certificate what name the spouses will bear after the marriage, which is why I am a bit concerned. I want to take my husband's name and I will update my Driver License but I do not have time to request a new passport at my home country's embassy. My current passport, I-20, I-94, and virtually all documents bear my maiden name. I want to file the USCIS forms with my husband's name since that will be the name I intend to use from now on. Will it be a problem if I file the forms under my husband's last name and all my other documents are under my maiden name? Thanks for the help!
    you should be able to fill the forms out with your married name and provide the marriage certificate as proof when you get your SS card, DL, and passport changed.
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

I had the same question, and my attorney said to file with whatever my legal name is... and if I change my name during the process, to update that as we go along.

Comment

You can use marriage certificate to confirm that. It doesn't state what your married name is, but they should be able to cross check your new surname with your husband's surname on the marriage certificate to confirm.

We decided against doing that. My wife who is the USC didn't change her name on her DL, SSN etc on purpose as we sent the forms using her maiden name, so we decided to do it after. Now we have the GC we will start changing her info to my surname.
        Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
        4-12: Arrived in Chicago
        4-14: Picked up by USCIS
        4-19: Email & text notifications received
        4-23: I-797 Receipts received
        4-27: Biometrics notice received
        5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
        5-11: Biometrics completed
        6-04: Interview scheduled
        6-09: Received interview letter
        7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
        7-13: Card was Mailed
        7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

I filled out the forms with my married name. USCIS will know that is your married name because you're adjusting via marriage right? I used my married name and my EAD, SSN Card and GC all came in my new married name. Do that to avoid paying money to change your name and waiting in long lines. I encountered no problems.
          Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765
          Priority Date: 01/22/2018
          Date Received NOA Letters: 02/02/2018
          Courtesy Letter for i693: 02/20/2018
          Biometrics Done: 02/21/2018
          Interview(rec' approval letter): 05/31/2018
          EAD card in production: 06/02/2018
          EAD card in hand: 06/07/2018
          SSN card in hand: 06/09/2018
          GC approval/production notifications: 07/08/2018
          Card mailed notification: 07/09/2018
          I130 & I485 approval letters received: 07/09/2018