Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Enub4 View Post
    Thank you

Yes my child has ITIN, but without SSN I can't get the $2,000 CTC only $500 as dependent (if I understand correctly). I hope the EAD/AP cards are approved in March, then we can file with valid SSN before April 15. If not I may consider an extension.

Sorry, this is a topic for other thread.
    Okay
    If I remember correctly, last year when I filed for my son with ITIN, I did get the $2000 tax benefit.

As per hrblock website

There are some common misunderstandings around what tax benefits you can claim when you file with an ITIN.

An ITIN filer cannot claim the Earned Income Tax Credit, which specifically requires a social security number. Similarly, any children using an ITIN instead of a SSN cannot be taken into account when an otherwise qualified individual claims the credit.

This limitation does not apply to the Child Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit. So ITIN filers cannot claim the EITC, but they can claim the CTC or the ACTC. However, there are still requirements that must be met. To claim these credits, your child (or children) must:

Live in your home for over half the year (limited exceptions to this rule apply)
    Be your child, stepchild, adopted child, or foster child, or your brother or sister or stepsibling (or a descendant of any of these)
    Be under 17 years old at the close of the year
    Not provide over half of his or her own support for the year, and
    Be a U.S. citizen or resident
    Note:- Not a legal opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by JosephTheDreamer View Post
      Okay
      If I remember correctly, last year when I filed for my son with ITIN, I did get the $2000 tax benefit.

As per hrblock website

There are some common misunderstandings around what tax benefits you can claim when you file with an ITIN.

An ITIN filer cannot claim the Earned Income Tax Credit, which specifically requires a social security number. Similarly, any children using an ITIN instead of a SSN cannot be taken into account when an otherwise qualified individual claims the credit.

This limitation does not apply to the Child Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit. So ITIN filers cannot claim the EITC, but they can claim the CTC or the ACTC. However, there are still requirements that must be met. To claim these credits, your child (or children) must:

Live in your home for over half the year (limited exceptions to this rule apply)
      Be your child, stepchild, adopted child, or foster child, or your brother or sister or stepsibling (or a descendant of any of these)
      Be under 17 years old at the close of the year
      Not provide over half of his or her own support for the year, and
      Be a U.S. citizen or resident
      Using the IRS tool: https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/does-my...her-dependents

I get:
      Does my child/dependent qualify for the Child Tax Credit or the Credit for Other Dependents?

Child is not a qualifying person for Child Tax Credit purposes.

The person must have an SSN valid for employment that was issued before the due date of your 2017 return (including extensions) to qualify you to claim the Child Tax Credit on either your original or an amended 2017 return. Also, no Child Tax Credit is allowed on your original or an amended 2017 return with respect to a person who didn't have an SSN before the due date of your return (including extensions), even if that person later gets an SSN.
      Maybe they updated the tool for 2018 and broke it for 2017/2016 returns?

Edit: Yes, I think the tool used the 2018 changes that a valid SSN is needed for CTC. For 2017 and 2016 having ITIN was enough.
      Last edited by Enub4; 02-07-2019, 04:03 PM.
      Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
      Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
      Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
      ---
      All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enub4 View Post
        Thank you

Yes my child has ITIN, but without SSN I can't get the $2,000 CTC only $500 as dependent (if I understand correctly). I hope the EAD/AP cards are approved in March, then we can file with valid SSN before April 15. If not I may consider an extension.

Sorry, this is a topic for other thread.
        I believe you are correct. Since 2018 the child needs SSN to qualify for the $2000 child tax credit. ITIN no longer suffices after the tax overhaul and I think you can only qualify for the $500 other dependent credit with an ITIN.

Since this is net $1,500 in pocket I would recommend to wait with the tax filing until you have the SSN. I believe you can extend your due date for the tax filing and you need to have the SSN prior to your tax filing is due.
        Employment based AOS (EB1C) - San Bernardino office(CA)

JUL - 2018 - applications for I-485, I-765 and I-131 concurrent filing
        AUG - 2018 - bio metrics complete
        DEC - 2018 - I-765 & I-131 approved
        DEC - 2018 - combo cards received
        DEC - 2018 - courtesy letter for missing I-693
        DEC - 2018 - social security cards received
        DEC - 2018 - interview for I-485 scheduled
        JAN - 2019 - interview & on the spot approval
        FEB - 2019 - I-485 approved
        FEB - 2019 - green cards in hand 😎

Comment

• After AOS interview

Had my AOS interview on 2-25-19. Attorney was present. Was sworn in with my wife. IO asked for IDs, work permit, passports, birth certificates, marriage certificate, and an i94. The IO proceeded to ask my wife questions, when and where were you born, where were you married, where do you work, what is your job title, when was our child born. She was comparing her answers to what was in her file. Then she asked me the same questions. She also asked if I had been arrested or detained and I have so I told her that it was back in 09 for driving without a license. They took me to the station took my prints and photo but I paid the fine and my record was clean. Also if I had been out of the country, yes, in 2017 when I was able to receive a travel document through DACA. I had the i94 as proof of legal entry. We had newer proof of joint accounts 2018 tax returns but she didnt want any of them. She said she had enough proof in her file. She asked for the i693 medical results and that was it. She let us know that I would be receiving and update on their decision within a month. We thanked her and left. Everything went smooth even though I was extremely nervous. My attorney reassured me that everything would work out and that this IO was able to approve without a supervisor. A day later 2-26-18 I get the notification that my new card is in production. It has been a long journey but well worth it. I feel like a tremendous weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Words cannot express how happy I am. My next step is becoming a USC. Since I dont have conditions on my GC I will be able to apply for naturalization in 3 years.
          Marriage based AOS
          I-130, I-131, I-485, I-765
          DACA recipient
          MKE, WI field office

Priority date: 7-12-18
          NOAs sent: 7-16-18
          Checks cashed: 7-16-18
          Courtesy letter for I-693: 8-7-18
          BIO appt: 8-10-18
          Interview ready to be scheduled: 8-17-18
          New card is being produced (I-765 I-131 combo): 12-13-18
          EAD/AP combo card received: 12-20-18
          Interview has been scheduled: 1-23-19
          Interview date: 2-25-19
          GC in production:2-26-19

Comment

• Congratulations!! This is such great news to hear... Your timeline is quick! Your FO must be really fast... your success gives this DACA recipient hope as well! Patiently waiting for my own interview date!

Originally posted by ruizk90 View Post
            Had my AOS interview on 2-25-19. Attorney was present. Was sworn in with my wife. IO asked for IDs, work permit, passports, birth certificates, marriage certificate, and an i94. The IO proceeded to ask my wife questions, when and where were you born, where were you married, where do you work, what is your job title, when was our child born. She was comparing her answers to what was in her file. Then she asked me the same questions. She also asked if I had been arrested or detained and I have so I told her that it was back in 09 for driving without a license. They took me to the station took my prints and photo but I paid the fine and my record was clean. Also if I had been out of the country, yes, in 2017 when I was able to receive a travel document through DACA. I had the i94 as proof of legal entry. We had newer proof of joint accounts 2018 tax returns but she didnt want any of them. She said she had enough proof in her file. She asked for the i693 medical results and that was it. She let us know that I would be receiving and update on their decision within a month. We thanked her and left. Everything went smooth even though I was extremely nervous. My attorney reassured me that everything would work out and that this IO was able to approve without a supervisor. A day later 2-26-18 I get the notification that my new card is in production. It has been a long journey but well worth it. I feel like a tremendous weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Words cannot express how happy I am. My next step is becoming a USC. Since I dont have conditions on my GC I will be able to apply for naturalization in 3 years.
            DACA approved: 12/2014
            I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765 apps. sent: 6/28/2018
            NOA receipt notices received: 7/13/2018
            I-485- Case ready to be scheduled for an interview.: 8/1/2018
            I-765/I-131- Card received.: 10/26/2018
            11/5/19- INTERVIEW SCHEDULED/NOTICE LETTER RECEIVED!
            12/9/19- Interview/approval on same day/card being produced.
            12/12/19- (email) GC being mailed to me notice received.
            12/13/19- (email) USPS picked up card in mail.
            12/14/19- GC delivered.

Comment

• My i485 journey is finally over! I had my interview on Monday and I just received my green card today. PD was July 27th 2018. I

Comment

• Originally posted by Fastrain View Post
                My i485 journey is finally over! I had my interview on Monday and I just received my green card today. PD was July 27th 2018. I
                Congrats.
                ---
                All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

• Did any July filers from Santa Ana office get update that their interview is being scheduled

Comment

• Our case status has updated online saying interview is scheduled!! Now waiting for the letter to find out day & time.
                    Our priority date is July 13 2018; marriage based.
                    I wrote our timeline on my signature but the new layout of this website removed the signature? Weird.
                    2018 Marriage-based AOS (I-130, I-485, I-765)
                    07-09: Package Delivered to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
                    07-17: NOA texts & emails (~10:30 pm)
                    07-17: Checks cashed
                    07-20: 3 NOAs received in the mail
                    07-27: Biometrics letter in mail; scheduled for 08-08
                    07-30: Biometrics done; USCIS received on 07-31
                    08-02: RFIE for proof of legal employment; replied 08-04
                    08-08: USCIS received RFIE, case no longer on hold
                    10-04: AP approved
                    11-28: Case Ready to Be Scheduled for Interview
                    11-29: EAD approved

Comment

• Can anyone from Santa Ana office with PD of July share if they received a interview letter

Comment

• Hi everyone
                        can some one share if they have a case in Santa Ana office and PD was July or August 2018 and got their interviews. Please and thank you

Comment

• Hi everyone
                          can some one share if they have a case in Santa Ana office and PD was July or August 2018 and got their interviews. Please and thank you

Comment

• F1 Visa

LA County

PD:7/26/18

Ready to scheduled: 10/25/2018

Interview was schedule:5/16/2019

Interview data: 6/21/19

5 hours later , the interview status changed to "New card is being produced" : 6/21/19

My interview took around 30 mins.

The officer asked:

how we meet
                            when we meet
                            data we committed together
                            marriage data

If you are F1 student, I recommend to bring your official transcripts and diplomas.

The officer did not approve me on the spot. She said she needed more time to review.
                            (I met my husband 8 years ago and some of my answers were not that clear. My husband even had to remind me)

When we got home, our case was changed to "New card is being produced".
                            Last edited by cindylam123; 06-24-2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cindylam123 View Post
                              Interview data: 6/21/19
                              5 hours later , the interview status changed to "New card is being produced" : 6/21/19
                              The officer did not approve me on the spot. She said she needed more time to review.
                              Congrats.
                              Even when they say they need more time to review, if the status change to "New card is being produced" a few hours later, I consider that as "approved on the spot". I can't imagine waiting for weeks/months until the status change.
                              ---

Comment

• Another July 2018 filer here with 'new card is being produced" status. Interview was yesterday and lasted less than 10 min. I (beneficiary expat) was asked few yes/no questions from I-485 and my USC spouse was asked to confirm name, dob, etc. The officer did not ask to see any updated documents -- we had taken name changed documents, joint taxes, life insurance policies, you name it -- none and we were given on spot approval. PD was 07-13-2018.
                                2018 Marriage-based AOS (I-130, I-485, I-765)
                                07-09: Package Delivered to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
                                07-17: NOA texts & emails (~10:30 pm)
                                07-17: Checks cashed
                                07-20: 3 NOAs received in the mail
                                07-27: Biometrics letter in mail; scheduled for 08-08
                                07-30: Biometrics done; USCIS received on 07-31
                                08-02: RFIE for proof of legal employment; replied 08-04
                                08-08: USCIS received RFIE, case no longer on hold
                                10-04: AP approved
                                11-28: Case Ready to Be Scheduled for Interview
                                11-29: EAD approved

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X