Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about joint health insurance

Hi everyone,

I am an august filler and I got my biometrics done. As of September 4th, the status is ready to be schedule for the interview. And now while reading posts here on the forum in order to prepare for the interview, I actually learn a lot and realized that the one who helped me to fill paper work and submitted form did not submit any proof for our relationship but just marriage certificate. So now I am kinda worried and I am not sure what paper should I prepare.
    Also, I recently encountered another issue while preparing that I saw from posts that joint health insurance is that I am currently still an f1 student, and I am bounded to buy school health insurance. Yesterday I went to see my international advisor to ask whether my husband can add me to his health insurance and I can use that instead of school insurance, but he told me that if I don't pay for health insurance through school system, I will be removed from my f1 status. But I can still take class as an PR pending to wait for interview. So, I don't know what should I do? pay through school system and keep my f1 status, or try to have joint health insurance with my husband and ditch my f1 status? Is it ok if I don't have joint health insurance with my husband.
    My situation is a bit hard for me as our relationship only around 1 year since the day I met him till now. And I just moved in with him, but the house we live is under my parents in law name and all bills such as gas, electricity, water are paid by my parents in law not by my husband or me. So what else could I do to add more evidence in this case? I have joint bank checking account, but I don't have credit. And for my wedding, we did not really do a big wedding or any, we just went to a service to get confidential marriage. Back then I did not think much about taking photos, so we only have like 1 or 2 with us there since we both don't really like being photographed. And we plan to have an actually bigger celebration in my home country because that's what my parents wish to.
    I am very thankful for all of your help.
    Field Office at San Bernadino

PD at August 2nd
    Biometric appointment at August 28th
    Finger print review completed at August 29th
    Form I-485 is ready to schedule for interview at September 4th
    EAD card on hand at January 10th
    Interview was scheduled at Feb 4th 2019

Originally posted by xeradion00 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am an august filler and I got my biometrics done. As of September 4th, the status is ready to be schedule for the interview. And now while reading posts here on the forum in order to prepare for the interview, I actually learn a lot and realized that the one who helped me to fill paper work and submitted form did not submit any proof for our relationship but just marriage certificate. So now I am kinda worried and I am not sure what paper should I prepare.
    Also, I recently encountered another issue while preparing that I saw from posts that joint health insurance is that I am currently still an f1 student, and I am bounded to buy school health insurance. Yesterday I went to see my international advisor to ask whether my husband can add me to his health insurance and I can use that instead of school insurance, but he told me that if I don't pay for health insurance through school system, I will be removed from my f1 status. But I can still take class as an PR pending to wait for interview. So, I don't know what should I do? pay through school system and keep my f1 status, or try to have joint health insurance with my husband and ditch my f1 status? Is it ok if I don't have joint health insurance with my husband.
    My situation is a bit hard for me as our relationship only around 1 year since the day I met him till now. And I just moved in with him, but the house we live is under my parents in law name and all bills such as gas, electricity, water are paid by my parents in law not by my husband or me. So what else could I do to add more evidence in this case? I have joint bank checking account, but I don't have credit. And for my wedding, we did not really do a big wedding or any, we just went to a service to get confidential marriage. Back then I did not think much about taking photos, so we only have like 1 or 2 with us there since we both don't really like being photographed. And we plan to have an actually bigger celebration in my home country because that's what my parents wish to.
    Another option you might consider if you can afford it, is have your husband add you to his insurance, but maintain your school insurance. Then You'd be able to use one as primary insurance, and the other as secondary. AND you'd maintain your status, AND have the additional proof.

But I don't know enough about the F1 status to know how critical it is to maintain or anything

Comment

Yesterday I went to see my international advisor to ask whether my husband can add me to his health insurance and I can use that instead of school insurance, but he told me that if I don't pay for health insurance through school system, I will be removed from my f1 status.
      Is there another DSO you can speak with? I was F1 student and found out I could get cheaper insurance than what I was getting through school - my school didn't care what insurance I was on, just that I had insurance and that it met or exceeded what the school provided. Seems weird to me that they would expect you to be on the school's insurance.

Of course, maybe it depends on the school. Also don't know enough about all the rules. I will say that I was not the only F1 student at my school who opted for other insurance. If it was against the rules, there were a lot of students who would have been out of status at my school then - which was not the case.
      Original PD: 07/10/2017
      RFE PD: 8/23/2017

8/03/2017 - RFE Received
      8/23/2017 - Response to RFE
      10/12/2017 - EAD Mailed
      3/15/2018 - I-485 Status "Case is ready to be scheduled"
      9/25/2018 - I-485 "Interview Was Scheduled"
      10/31/2018 - Interview Date
      10/31/2018 - I-485 Approved on the spot, card has been ordered

Comment

Links: Evidence of bona fide marriage

...I actually learn a lot and realized that the one who helped me to fill paper work and submitted form did not submit any proof for our relationship but just marriage certificate.
        First of all you need to go to a thread i posted below and study it very careful , there many examples how to prepare your documents if you havn't front loaded (sent with application) your evidences of relationship. There is Tables Of Contents (TOC) examples and ideas what could be used.

...I am currently still an f1 student, and I am bounded to buy school health insurance.
        It very legit explanation and i don't think it would be a problem.You can add your husband as beneficiary and emergency contact to your insurance and print out that page, or take a copy of filled form for insurance. Also you can make a Health Directive, how to do it explained in above link as well. Your husband can add you to his beneficiary on all his benefits from work (health, Life insurances, 401K... and as emergency contact, he can ask his HR how to do it.

...And I just moved in with him, but the house we live is under my parents in law name and all bills such as gas, electricity, water are paid by my parents in law not by my husband or me...
        Your in-law parents can write Affidavit and notarized it, that you are living together, also you friends or neighbours could do that as well.

... I have joint bank checking account, but I don't have credit.
        USCIS not a credit bureau and not checking your credit score , Make sure your husband (if you will have time) files Taxes as married jointly, the joint account has to be active, like you and him spending money in local stores, your husband paycheck coming in and you paying your bills from same account. those transaction could be highlighted and explained, so Officer will not wander what proves what.

And for my wedding, we did not really do a big wedding or any, we just went to a service to get confidential marriage. Back then I did not think much about taking photos, so we only have like 1 or 2 with us there since we both don't really like being photographed. And we plan to have an actually bigger celebration in my home country because that's what my parents wish to.
        You can explain that and ask you parents to write Affidavit that they want to have a big ceremony in your country where all relatives from your side could come.

Bottom line, reade "Links: Evidence of bona fide marriage for I-130/I-485 filing & interview tips" link i gave above, visit each and every link posted there as well, it will help you to understand how Immigration Officer process immigration cases.

Good Luck, you have time to prepare.
        Field Office: Houston, TX
        PD: Nov 14, 2016
        Fingerprints: Dec 15, 2016
        Ready to schedule for interview: Jan 07, 2017
        Interview letter issued: Jul 03, 2018
        Interview scheduled: Aug 07,2018 9:35 am
        Interview was from 10.30 to 11.00 am
        Approved: Aug 07,2018 3:30 pm

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X