Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Name Change after filing I 485 and I 130

Good morning valued members!

My wife and I have a pending case. We filed in January 2018 and I am the beneficiary doing an I-485. She just changed her last name to mine and my I485 is ready to be scheduled for interview.
    My questions are: Do we have to contact USCIS to inform them? What's the best way to handle this situation since her original last name is on all the paper work we sent with the petition ?

Originally posted by dg204 View Post
    Good morning valued members!

My wife and I have a pending case. We filed in January 2018 and I am the beneficiary doing an I-485. She just changed her last name to mine and my I485 is ready to be scheduled for interview.
    My questions are: Do we have to contact USCIS to inform them? What's the best way to handle this situation since her original last name is on all the paper work we sent with the petition ?
    Assuming you are filing for a marriage-based AoS, it would have been easier to file directly with her married name. You can now contact USCIS and inform them about the name change OR you can wait until the interview and ask the IO to update her name so that the Green Card matches her married name.
    RoC (I-751) Application, filed from Houston TX
    10/24/2021 - USPS delivered the package in AZ
    10/27/2021 - Text from USCIS with receipt number, check cashed. Assigned to the Texas Processing Center

INITIAL AOS from F-1, married to USC, filed in Seattle WA

09/24/2018 - Package delivered to PO Box (PD)
    10/22 - Early bio walk-in
    11/15 - New card is being produced (I-765)
    11/26 - EAD combo & SS card
    01/13/2020 - Interview
    01/23/2020 - Case Approved, Card Mailed.

Comment

Originally posted by seattle2903 View Post
      Assuming you are filing for a marriage-based AoS, it would have been easier to file directly with her married name. You can now contact USCIS and inform them about the name change OR you can wait until the interview and ask the IO to update her name so that the Green Card matches her married name.
      No i'm the beneficiary. She is a citizen.

Comment

No worries, just inform IO during interview and just incase bring updated I-864 with all supporting documents (pay stub and letter of employment, you didn't file taxes while waiting for interview, so new W-2 and IRS transcripts not available yet),
        As well as her new SS card and new DL, if she has a passport that would not hurt too.

p.s. that actually good, more to the evidences of bonafide marriage.
        Field Office: Houston, TX
        PD: Nov 14, 2016
        Fingerprints: Dec 15, 2016
        Ready to schedule for interview: Jan 07, 2017
        Interview letter issued: Jul 03, 2018
        Interview scheduled: Aug 07,2018 9:35 am
        Interview was from 10.30 to 11.00 am
        Approved: Aug 07,2018 3:30 pm

Comment

Originally posted by Houston2016 View Post
          No worries, just inform IO during interview and just incase bring updated I-864 with all supporting documents (pay stub and letter of employment, you didn't file taxes while waiting for interview, so new W-2 and IRS transcripts not available yet),
          As well as her new SS card and new DL, if she has a passport that would not hurt too.

p.s. that actually good, more to the evidences of bonafide marriage.

Thank you!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X