Marriage certificate doesn't have a middle name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage certificate doesn't have a middle name

I'm a male foreigner who came here on a K1 visa and married a US citizen. My passport, birth certificate and K1 visa have my middle name on them so basically my legal name is [First Name][Middle Name][Last Name]. However, my I-94 doesn't have it, so when I applied for SSN, they also had to omit my middle name as they had to follow my name on the I-94. And then, I've just realized that my marriage certificate doesn't include my middle name either. My questions are..

1. Would I have a problem because of these inconsistencies?
    2. Would I have a problem with the USCIS when I file for Adjustment of Status because my marriage certificate doesn't have my middle name?
    3. When I fill out the AOS form (I-485), should I include my middle name as a part of my legal name?
    4. When I fill out the AOS form (I-485) and include my middle name in my legal name, do I have to write the name shown on the marriage certificate on the "Other Names Used" section of the form?

I'm so nervous because of this. I hope someone can answer my questions.

Originally posted by jjok View Post
    I'm a male foreigner who came here on a K1 visa and married a US citizen. My passport, birth certificate and K1 visa have my middle name on them so basically my legal name is [First Name][Middle Name][Last Name]. However, my I-94 doesn't have it, so when I applied for SSN, they also had to omit my middle name as they had to follow my name on the I-94. And then, I've just realized that my marriage certificate doesn't include my middle name either. My questions are..

2. Would I have a problem with the USCIS when I file for Adjustment of Status because my marriage certificate doesn't have my middle name?
    3. When I fill out the AOS form (I-485), should I include my middle name as a part of my legal name?
    4. When I fill out the AOS form (I-485) and include my middle name in my legal name, do I have to write the name shown on the marriage certificate on the "Other Names Used" section of the form?

This is quite a specific question. I recommend you ask for a consultation with an immigration lawyer to get the right advice. It may be an issue, or maybe not. And even if it is an issue there may be an easy fix or not. This is the type of question I would invest some time to check with a legal expert.
    Employment based AOS (EB1C) - San Bernardino office(CA)

JUL - 2018 - applications for I-485, I-765 and I-131 concurrent filing
    AUG - 2018 - bio metrics complete
    DEC - 2018 - I-765 & I-131 approved
    DEC - 2018 - combo cards received
    DEC - 2018 - courtesy letter for missing I-693
    DEC - 2018 - social security cards received
    DEC - 2018 - interview for I-485 scheduled
    JAN - 2019 - interview & on the spot approval
    FEB - 2019 - I-485 approved
    FEB - 2019 - green cards in hand 😎

Comment

Originally posted by jjok View Post

Our Marriage Certificate had a different first name. We changed it legally after the marriage and uscis was ok with that. Guess the moral of the story is if you have paperwork to back up the info its ok. I'm a USC and quite often I leave my middle name out of documents. Never had a problem with that in my 64 years. Hope this calms your nerves a bit. Good luck.
      4-18-18 PD
      4-29-18 Finger Print fee was received
      9-26-18 I-765 and I-131 Approved
      10-02-18 Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office (sent to Lawyer) Day 167
      10-03-18 Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview Day 168
      10-05-18 your case has been scheduled for a interview. Day 170
      11-13-18 Interview
      11-13-18 New card being produced
      11-15-18 I130 and I485 Approved
      11-20-18 Card Mailed

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...