Need 485 receipt for travel???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 485 receipt for travel???

Hi there, Please advice in this. I am planning to apply for 485 asap. But I have to go to india in 2 weeks.

Can I travel before getting 485 receipt? Would it abandon my 485 processing?

Heard that it takes nearly a month to get the receipt after applying , is that true? BTW, I am on valid H1B visa.

Whoever knows anything, please reply back.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2005, 02:31 PM.

Heres what I think and this is only my opinion. When you apply for an I-485 you are now treated as an alien resident pending and must apply for advance parol to travel outside the US just like any other person applying for a GC. Now you are currently a H1B so what I personally would do is travel on that H1b status and then after you return to the states apply for the 485.

Again this is what I think, I'm in no way a lawyer.

Joanne

Comment

Re: Need 485 receipt for travel???

Actually, it is nowadays possible to travel with a valid H1 even while the I-485 is pending without abandoning the I-485.
      "Aliens holding valid H-1 (temporary worker in a specialty occupation) or L-1 (intra-company transferee) visas and their dependants who have filed for adjustment of status do not have to file for Advance Parole as long as they maintain their non-immigrant status."
      Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2005, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Re: Re: Need 485 receipt for travel???

Thanks Joe I didn't know that.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X