Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling with Advance Parole

Hello everyone,

I just got my EAD and Advance Parole approved.

I really want to travel but am worried that I won't be let back in the US - the notes written on notice of approval are kind of worrisome:

"1. Parole into the US is not guaranteed. In all cases, a CBP officer must still inspect you at a port of entry to determine whether you are eligible to come into the US according to terms of this advance parole. Even though USCIS approved your advance parole, CBP may still refuse to parole you into the US.
    2. Parole into the US is not an "admission" into the US. If you have a pending Form 1-485 and we deny it, you may be subject to removal proceedings for being inadmissible to the US.
    3. Unlawful Presence. If you leave the United States after being unlawfully present in the US, you may be barred from admission even if you obtained your advance parole"

My lawyer said it's 100% fine for me to travel as I am here legally. Been on an O-1 visa before applying for I-485, I pay taxes, etc. And that those notes are meant for people who commit crimes or under categories for which they are not eligible to get the permission to enter. But then again, looks like nothing is guaranteed.

Has anyone had issues traveling with advance parole? What are your experiences traveling with an advance parole? Would you suggest to travel with advance parole or to just wait until approval of green card? If I do decide to travel, do you suggest that I bring supporting documents such as the I-485 application receipts/notices, old visas, tax returns, etc?

Would love to know your thoughts. Thank you so much.
    Last edited by hopefulandhappy; 06-06-2019, 12:22 AM.

Traveling on AP is fine; a lot of people do it. Some face stern behavior at customs office upon their return but each case is different. You'll be okay.
    2018 Marriage-based AOS (I-130, I-485, I-765)
    07-09: Package Delivered to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
    07-17: NOA texts & emails (~10:30 pm)
    07-17: Checks cashed
    07-20: 3 NOAs received in the mail
    07-27: Biometrics letter in mail; scheduled for 08-08
    07-30: Biometrics done; USCIS received on 07-31
    08-02: RFIE for proof of legal employment; replied 08-04
    08-08: USCIS received RFIE, case no longer on hold
    10-04: AP approved
    11-28: Case Ready to Be Scheduled for Interview
    11-29: EAD approved

Comment

They put the same warnings for people with Visas and also people with Visa Waiver Program that need ESTA to travel.
      Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
      Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
      Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
      ---
      All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Should I bring all of the documents with me? I'm going to bring my I485 receipt and old visas for sure, but what about the tax docs, etc?

Comment

I traveled to asia early this year using my combo card. I was out of status (tourist visa) for a few years. My travel was very smooth. Coming back, they put you on secondary jnspection which is nerve racking, but quick and easy. You can read more of my experience under ead/ap section. It’s probably a couple of pages in. Maybe 4 or 5.
          B2; AoS; Same-Sex Marriage:USC
          FO SanFrancisco

3/30/18 PD
          4/20/18 Received 4 letters
          5/04/18 Walk In Biometrics
          5/14/18 Status update-CaseTracker, "Ready to be scheduled for interview"
          9/08/18 New card being produced-CaseTracker
          9/11/18 EAD/AP approved-uscis.gov
          9/12/18 Received tracking number for EAD/AP card
          9/14/18 Received EAD/AP
          9/17/18 Received Social Sec card
          2/17/19 Traveled abroad
          3/04/19 Paroled back in country using EAD/AP
          3/11/19 Submitted renewal of EAD/AP

Comment

Originally posted by BayAreaCaliAOS View Post
            I traveled to asia early this year using my combo card. I was out of status (tourist visa) for a few years. My travel was very smooth. Coming back, they put you on secondary jnspection which is nerve racking, but quick and easy. You can read more of my experience under ead/ap section. It’s probably a couple of pages in. Maybe 4 or 5.
            Thank you, I'll check it out! Sent you a message too by the way

Comment

I travel a lot for work and I have used Advance Parole to travel back 5-6 times in the past few months. There has been no issue at all--I've traveled from airports in Asia, Europe and Africa and they all know what AP is. There is always secondary inspection, but that rarely takes more than 10 minutes.

Also, all you need is the combo card and the passport. I have a family based application, so maybe different for people adjusting for work (in terms of docs required in inspection).

Comment

I have used AP to enter the US three times with no issue at all. You always go for secondary inspection, but this has never taken more than 3 minutes to get through. Twice, they didn't even ask me any questions, just called my name and gave me my passport. On the last time, they asked me to give the last four digits of my SSN, and then gave me my passport and thanked me.
                Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing - Oakland Park, FL

04/18/18: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
                04/23/18: Priority Date
                04/27/18: 4x I-797 NOA received
                05/04/18: Biometrics notice received
                05/15/18: Courtesy letter for I-693
                05/22/18: Biometrics completed
                05/29/18: Case Ready To Be Scheduled For Interview
                09/25/18: I-765 New Card being produced (via Case Tracker)
                09/26/18: I-765 and I-131 approved (via uscis.dhs.gov)
                10/01/18: Combo card in hand
                06/05/19: Interview scheduled

Comment

Originally posted by hopefulandhappy View Post
                  Hello everyone,

I just got my EAD and Advance Parole approved.

I really want to travel but am worried that I won't be let back in the US - the notes written on notice of approval are kind of worrisome:

"1. Parole into the US is not guaranteed. In all cases, a CBP officer must still inspect you at a port of entry to determine whether you are eligible to come into the US according to terms of this advance parole. Even though USCIS approved your advance parole, CBP may still refuse to parole you into the US.
                  2. Parole into the US is not an "admission" into the US. If you have a pending Form 1-485 and we deny it, you may be subject to removal proceedings for being inadmissible to the US.
                  3. Unlawful Presence. If you leave the United States after being unlawfully present in the US, you may be barred from admission even if you obtained your advance parole"

My lawyer said it's 100% fine for me to travel as I am here legally. Been on an O-1 visa before applying for I-485, I pay taxes, etc. And that those notes are meant for people who commit crimes or under categories for which they are not eligible to get the permission to enter. But then again, looks like nothing is guaranteed.

Has anyone had issues traveling with advance parole? What are your experiences traveling with an advance parole? Would you suggest to travel with advance parole or to just wait until approval of green card? If I do decide to travel, do you suggest that I bring supporting documents such as the I-485 application receipts/notices, old visas, tax returns, etc?

Would love to know your thoughts. Thank you so much.
                  I can't say for experience because I don't even have my AP yet, but like others mentioned the warnings 1 and 2 are the same than with a Visa, not sure about 3.
                  I can't hardly way to get mine to visit my family.
                  Salt Lake City-UT
                  07/24/18- Documents received
                  11/16- I-485,765 and 131rejected
                  12/22- New I-485, 765 and 131 sent
                  12/27- Documents delivered at 10 am (UPS)
                  01/14- Credit Card was charged
                  01/14- text messages for I-485 and I-131
                  01/22- Received form I-765 back. Got rejected due to incorrect fee??
                  01/23-Submitted I-765 again.
                  01/31- Early Biometrics appointment
                  02/01- Fingerprint Review was completed
                  07/30- case is ready to be scheduled for ...
                  08/31-EAD in hands
                  10/22- Interview (approved)

Comment

Just go for it and enjoy your travel , this is made for it .. I ve traveled on advance parole twice. And they put you on second inspection but then they let you go .
                    if you was not allowed to travel they would not give it to you .so no worry

Comment

And make sure you dont have any criminal convictions for that might cause some problems.
                      B2; AoS; Same-Sex Marriage:USC
                      FO SanFrancisco

3/30/18 PD
                      4/20/18 Received 4 letters
                      5/04/18 Walk In Biometrics
                      5/14/18 Status update-CaseTracker, "Ready to be scheduled for interview"
                      9/08/18 New card being produced-CaseTracker
                      9/11/18 EAD/AP approved-uscis.gov
                      9/12/18 Received tracking number for EAD/AP card
                      9/14/18 Received EAD/AP
                      9/17/18 Received Social Sec card
                      2/17/19 Traveled abroad
                      3/04/19 Paroled back in country using EAD/AP
                      3/11/19 Submitted renewal of EAD/AP

Comment

Thank you guys! I have a clean background, etc so hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X