Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCIS# and USCIS ALIEN NUMBER are different

Hi,

We recently submitted I-485 petition to USCIS, and just got I-797C notices regarding these petitions.

We noticed something odd, though. The "USCIS Alien Number" on the I-485's I-797C notice is a totally different from the "USCIS#" on an old EAD card (several years ago, from the time we were on J-status; we're now on H-status).

"USCIS Alien Number" starts with A and followed by a 9-digit number (the first digit is 2). "USCIS#" is a 9 digit number, starting with the digit 1.

Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this?

My new A number also doesn't match the number on my old EADs. All my old EADs had the same number. I had F1 and J2 EADs. I think that's because the intent is now immigrational.
    3/3/2019 - 485, 131, 765 filed (140 had been approved)
    3/6/2019 - packet received by USCIS
    3/12/2019 - texts received, checks cashed
    3/16/2019 - receipt notices received
    3/23/2019 - biometrics notices for 4/4/2019
    3/29/2019 - biometrics walk-in
    6/17/2019 - EAD expedite request initiated
    7/16/2019 - new card Is being produced
    7/18/2019 - EAD mailed
    7/19/2019 - approval notices for 131, 765 received
    7/20/2019 - EAD/AP cards received
    8/6/2019 - cases are ready to be scheduled for an interview

Comment

Originally posted by buffalo434 View Post
      Hi,

We recently submitted I-485 petition to USCIS, and just got I-797C notices regarding these petitions.

We noticed something odd, though. The "USCIS Alien Number" on the I-485's I-797C notice is a totally different from the "USCIS#" on an old EAD card (several years ago, from the time we were on J-status; we're now on H-status).

"USCIS Alien Number" starts with A and followed by a 9-digit number (the first digit is 2). "USCIS#" is a 9 digit number, starting with the digit 1.

Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this?
      P.S. the number on your EAD is an A number. Old version of an EAD says A# ......
      3/3/2019 - 485, 131, 765 filed (140 had been approved)
      3/6/2019 - packet received by USCIS
      3/12/2019 - texts received, checks cashed
      3/16/2019 - receipt notices received
      3/23/2019 - biometrics notices for 4/4/2019
      3/29/2019 - biometrics walk-in
      6/17/2019 - EAD expedite request initiated
      7/16/2019 - new card Is being produced
      7/18/2019 - EAD mailed
      7/19/2019 - approval notices for 131, 765 received
      7/20/2019 - EAD/AP cards received
      8/6/2019 - cases are ready to be scheduled for an interview

Comment

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, it's a relief!

I also found this thread elsewhere on the internet with someone else who had a similar experience to us.

Comment

Foreign nationals applying for status in the United States with USCIS have likely seen the term, “A-Number.” Many people wonder what this term refers to as it appears on virtually every USCIS form.

The “A-Number” stands for Alien Registration Number. It may also be referred to as an “Alien Number” or “USCIS Number.” This number is issued by USCIS to non-citizens of the United States. Most foreign nationals are assigned an A-Number when applying for a green card, a waiver, employment authorization and certain visas. However, not all foreign nationals receive an A-Number.

There are four different varieties of A-Numbers:
          • Eight-digit A-Numbers are digitally assigned at a local USCIS office. If you are assigned one of these numbers, treat the number as if an additional zero was placed after the A.
          • Nine-digit A-Numbers that start with the number one are used for employment authorization cards.
          • Nine-digit A-Numbers that begin with the digit three are used for fingerprint tracking of V visa applicants. (The V visa allows families to stay together while waiting for the processing of immigrant visas.)
          • All other nine-digit A-Numbers are permanent and will remain with the foreign national for the rest of their life.

If you are assigned an A-Number, it can be found in the upper right hand corner of your Form I-797 Approval Notice or on the front of your Green Card or Employment Authorization Document.
          7/16/19: Concurrent filing at USCIS Lockbox Facility in Chicago, IL
          7/19/19: Package delivered.
          7/28/19: Received 4 Texts Messages at 11:30 pm, with 4 numbers
          8/9/19: Got Biometrics appointment mail Notification & Biometrics done (walk-in)
          11/15/19: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
          ​​​​​​11/18/19: Got the courtesy letter in mail for I-693 dated on 11/12/19.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcWindsor View Post
            Foreign nationals applying for status in the United States with USCIS have likely seen the term, “A-Number.” Many people wonder what this term refers to as it appears on virtually every USCIS form.

The “A-Number” stands for Alien Registration Number. It may also be referred to as an “Alien Number” or “USCIS Number.” This number is issued by USCIS to non-citizens of the United States. Most foreign nationals are assigned an A-Number when applying for a green card, a waiver, employment authorization and certain visas. However, not all foreign nationals receive an A-Number.

There are four different varieties of A-Numbers:
            • Eight-digit A-Numbers are digitally assigned at a local USCIS office. If you are assigned one of these numbers, treat the number as if an additional zero was placed after the A.
            • Nine-digit A-Numbers that start with the number one are used for employment authorization cards.
            • Nine-digit A-Numbers that begin with the digit three are used for fingerprint tracking of V visa applicants. (The V visa allows families to stay together while waiting for the processing of immigrant visas.)
            • All other nine-digit A-Numbers are permanent and will remain with the foreign national for the rest of their life.

If you are assigned an A-Number, it can be found in the upper right hand corner of your Form I-797 Approval Notice or on the front of your Green Card or Employment Authorization Document.
            Hey, where did you find this information? I have been on F1 OPT and my EAD has a 9-digit "USCIS #" that starts with a 2 (2xx-xxx-xxx). I recently got a 797C, and I there is another 9-digit "USCIS Alien Number" that starts with an A and a 2 (A2xxxxxxxx). What is going on?

Thank you
            F-1 OPT to AOS IR-1 (married to USC)
            Forms I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131
            National Benefits Center
            Field Office: Minneapolis, MN
            10/17/2019 Sent through USPS
            10/19/2019 Received by USCIS Chicago Lockbox
            10/21/2019 Official Received and Priority Date
            11/05/2019 Text NOA cases received, w/4 numbers
            11/06/2019 Checks cashed out
            11/09/2019 Received official I-797C NOAs through mail
            11/18/2019 Biometrics appointment letter received for 11/26

Comment

Originally posted by denithedreamers View Post

Hey, where did you find this information? I have been on F1 OPT and my EAD has a 9-digit "USCIS #" that starts with a 2 (2xx-xxx-xxx). I recently got a 797C, and I there is another 9-digit "USCIS Alien Number" that starts with an A and a 2 (A2xxxxxxxx). What is going on?

Thank you
              https://berardiimmigrationlaw.com/what-is-an-a-number/

It looks like that the first one you got is "USCIS #", and the second one is "USCIS Alien Number" or "USCIS Alien #"
              Last edited by MarcWindsor; 11-11-2019, 09:31 AM.
              7/16/19: Concurrent filing at USCIS Lockbox Facility in Chicago, IL
              7/19/19: Package delivered.
              7/28/19: Received 4 Texts Messages at 11:30 pm, with 4 numbers
              8/9/19: Got Biometrics appointment mail Notification & Biometrics done (walk-in)
              11/15/19: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
              ​​​​​​11/18/19: Got the courtesy letter in mail for I-693 dated on 11/12/19.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcWindsor View Post

https://berardiimmigrationlaw.com/what-is-an-a-number/

It looks like that the first one you got is "USCIS #", and the second one is "USCIS Alien Number" or "USCIS Alien #"
                That is very confusing. From the link that you provided,

The “A-Number” stands for Alien Registration Number. It may also be referred to as an “Alien Number” or “USCIS Number.”
                Sounds like they are the same thing?
                F-1 OPT to AOS IR-1 (married to USC)
                Forms I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131
                National Benefits Center
                Field Office: Minneapolis, MN
                10/17/2019 Sent through USPS
                10/19/2019 Received by USCIS Chicago Lockbox
                10/21/2019 Official Received and Priority Date
                11/05/2019 Text NOA cases received, w/4 numbers
                11/06/2019 Checks cashed out
                11/09/2019 Received official I-797C NOAs through mail
                11/18/2019 Biometrics appointment letter received for 11/26