Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you self filed? And how many used an attorney? AOS/G.C through marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ktait View Post
    Ive been living in the USA on an o1b visa and had an immigration attorney compile and submit this application for me. I got married last month, and we plan to apply for an AOS from my o1 visa to permanent status next year. Im just wondering who here has self filed and who used an attorney? And whichever you chose to do, were you happy with your decision? OR wished you had done things differently?
    Self filed successfully two times 10 years apart. Makes no sense paying a lawyer $5000+ to fill out some forms with information provided by you.

Comment

We self filed . Hubby and I filled the forms ourselves . No attorney

Comment

Originally posted by ktait View Post
        Ive been living in the USA on an o1b visa and had an immigration attorney compile and submit this application for me. I got married last month, and we plan to apply for an AOS from my o1 visa to permanent status next year. Im just wondering who here has self filed and who used an attorney? And whichever you chose to do, were you happy with your decision? OR wished you had done things differently?
        We self-filed. But I was a paralegal to an immigration attorney for a few years. In my opinion the application phase is straight forward enough once you know you are eligible. I suggest a consultation to ensure eligibility or if there are other complications such as an illegal entry or a criminal history. You can also have a lawyer review your package before you submit it, once you have prepared it. Bottom-line, it's best to go with what you are personally comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by Enub4 View Post
          Use lawyer if:
          - you doubt that you can file correctly all the forms
          - don't have time to read and understand all the requirements
          - you have the extra money to do it
          - your case is not a simple one
          - you want to have someone in your interview
          - you understand if you missed a form they can deny the application and you have to start again (there is no warranty that the lawyer will not miss anything, like a translation, but must likely you wil only get RFE for that. Not sending one required form can be enough to get your case denied)

Don't use lawyer if:
          - your case is simple
          - you want to save money
          - you have the time to read/understand the requirements
          - can follow guides in this forum or other sites

There are some services that will review your documents and give you feedback for much less than a lawyer charge. This could be an option too if you decide not to use a lawyer and want someone with some experience to review your information.
          Great advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Hotaru-Grace View Post

I am sorry to read about your experience when you self-filed. Was that due to insufficient evidence, incompletely filled out forms, missing fees, limited convincing evidence to show bonafide marriage, or any other matter? Most definitely whether documents are filled out by lawyers or individuals, the process of completing the form and adhering to all requirements is meticulous but must be strictly followed. Several persons have used lawyers and have been denied for varied reasons, while others have been satisfied that the investment of a few thousand of dollars was well worth it.

For us, Prior to my hubby and I doing our own self-filing we visited an immigration lawyer in Florida. Thankfully he was brutally honest and asked us whether our case was complicated or not with asylum, criminal history etc. As we answered no, he then asked about our professional background (Me-Teacher, Hubs-Federal Employee). He also questioned us about who filled out and submitted my J1 waiver (I did). Then he told us the cost of doing this straightforward, non-chaotic case was ($5,000-$7000) excluding USCIS application fees and immediately advised us to do it on our own. He said 'you guys can definitely do it on your own', just read the forms carefully, so we did and have been successful.

I hope the second time around for you is successful, but even though you are quite confident in your 'experienced' lawyer, please follow-up with him or her and keep abreast of the deadlines, and required documents that USCIS needs. Freely discuss with your lawyer any concerns, anxieties so you can either ask him or her about it but generally keep abreast of what he or she is doing.
            Great advise!! Even with a lawyer it's your case and your consequences. You are one of many to a lawyer. Stay on top of it and them.

Comment

My thoughts on using or not using an attorney....

Filing for an adjustment of status could be one of the most important things you will do. So ask yourself what are the consequences of making a mistake?

Previously, making a mistake means you get an RFIE and costs you time. Nowadays making a mistake could get your case denied.

Do you want to take a chance?

Comment

Time is crucial for all of us in all immigration matters and loosing that time due to silly mistakes like filling the form accurately and attaching correct documents is not affordable. If you have money you should use an attorney who can do it right the first time and avoid RFE. USCIS is scrutinizing documents and files critically nowadays and could cause unprecedented delays. Choice is your to save time..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X