Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing i485 for Undocumented Spouse

Hi Everyone,
    I recently got my Green Card (less than 1 year) and after that, I got married to my spouse who came here as an F1 (International Student) but did not continue her studies and she has accrued unlawful presence for more than 2 years.
    What would be the best way for me to apply for her i-485. Is it even possible since she is out of status but did enter the US legally?
    I heard a lot about the waivers as well but do not understand on what merit it is given. I would really appreciate if someone has any idea about this situation. Thank you so much

Someone who is out of status is not eligible for Adjustment of Status (I-485) unless they are in the Immediate Relative category (spouse, parent, or unmarried under-21 child of US citizen). Your spouse is the spouse of a permanent resident, and is in the F2A category. She is not eligible for Adjustment of Status. She has two options:
    1. Leave the US and do Consular Processing abroad for an immigrant visa. Leaving the US would trigger a ban if she has accrued more than 180 days of unlawful presence. However, as an F1 student, she was almost certainly admitted for D/S instead of a date on her I-94, and she hasn't accrued any unlawful presence, at least under previous rules. There was a memo in 2018 to start counting unlawful presence for F1 when out of status after August 9, 2018, but that memo has been blocked by a nationwide injunction.
    2. Continue to wait in the US until you naturalize, at which point she can immediately file I-485. However, if you've just got your green card less than a year ago, you still have more than 4 years before you can naturalize.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ravinmish View Post
      Hi Everyone,
      I recently got my Green Card (less than 1 year) and after that, I got married to my spouse who came here as an F1 (International Student) but did not continue her studies and she has accrued unlawful presence for more than 2 years.
      What would be the best way for me to apply for her i-485. Is it even possible since she is out of status but did enter the US legally?
      I heard a lot about the waivers as well but do not understand on what merit it is given. I would really appreciate if someone has any idea about this situation. Thank you so much

Marry her and file for her. Do the I-130 and the I-485 concurrent and depending on the state you guys are in she can get her GC in a yr or less. I wouldn’t recommend having her go back to her home country. Since as she’s here already might as well do it from here. Also, you don’t have to be a USC to petition for her, you can petition as a greencard holder.
      Field Office: Hartford, CT
      PD: 5/21/2019
      Filed forms: I-130; I-485; I-765
      B1/B/2 married to USC
      5/21/2019: I-130 and I-484 received
      7/12/2019: fingerprint review complete
      8/29/2019: received rejected form I-485 due to bounced check
      9/11/2019: mailed new I-485 with new check and I-765
      10/22/2019: biometrics complete
      11/22/2019: ready to schedule interview
      12/18/2019: called USCIS and request exp on I-485
      12/20/2019: Expedite received and complete
      12/26/2019: I-765 approved

Comment

Originally posted by HartfordCtFilerI-485 View Post

Marry her and file for her. Do the I-130 and the I-485 concurrent and depending on the state you guys are in she can get her GC in a yr or less. I wouldn’t recommend having her go back to her home country. Since as she’s here already might as well do it from here. Also, you don’t have to be a USC to petition for her, you can petition as a greencard holder.
        No, she is not eligible for AOS in her category since she is out of status.

Comment

Originally posted by HartfordCtFilerI-485 View Post

Wrong. A GC holder can’t petition his/her spouse in the country. They will need to do a consular processing for it.
          B2; AoS; Same-Sex Marriage:USC
          FO SanFrancisco

3/30/18 PD
          4/20/18 Received 4 letters
          5/04/18 Walk In Biometrics
          5/14/18 Status update-CaseTracker, "Ready to be scheduled for interview"
          9/08/18 New card being produced-CaseTracker
          9/11/18 EAD/AP approved-uscis.gov
          9/12/18 Received tracking number for EAD/AP card
          9/14/18 Received EAD/AP
          9/17/18 Received Social Sec card
          2/17/19 Traveled abroad
          3/04/19 Paroled back in country using EAD/AP
          3/11/19 Submitted renewal of EAD/AP

Comment

Originally posted by BayAreaCaliAOS View Post

Wrong. A GC holder can’t petition his/her spouse in the country. They will need to do a consular processing for it.
            A GC holder's spouse can do AOS if they are in status. The issue here is the OP's spouse is out of status.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X