Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I replace the ssn card after getting green card

Hi everyone,
    Very luckily, I received my green card today. Do I have to replace a new ssn card? My old one writes “Valid for work only with dhs authorization”.
    im so busy, and do not want to waste a morning if it’s not necessary.
    Can I anyone tell me should I or not?
    San Jose F1 AOS with UC 4 forms
    9/24 2019: Sent 4 forms to Chicago
    9/27 2019: PD
    11/1/2019 : Fingerprints done
    12/13/2019:Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview
    1/21/2020: Interview was scheduled
    2/25/2020 12pm: we interviewed in San Jose.
    2/25/2020 5:00pm: I-485 new card is being produced.

Not necessary. You can do it when you have time. Only if you changed your name may be recommended to get a new one soon (match future tax returns).
    Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
    Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
    Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
    ---
    All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by xingmin View Post
      Hi everyone,
      Very luckily, I received my green card today. Do I have to replace a new ssn card? My old one writes “Valid for work only with dhs authorization”.
      The best option is to update your SSN Card so that they can remove the restrictions from it. The reason I am saying because if you have a new job offer and at the time of
      I-9 form, all you need will be your Driving License and Social Security Card (Without any restriction) should be enough rather than using the Green Card.

The good news is now your can request replacement SSN card through online. You don't have to go to SSN office and stand in the line. Below is the link to place the request
      Manage your nine-digit Social Security number, which is your first and continuous connection to us.

Comment

Originally posted by luckycharm4111 View Post

The best option is to update your SSN Card so that they can remove the restrictions from it. The reason I am saying because if you have a new job offer and at the time of
        I-9 form, all you need will be your Driving License and Social Security Card (Without any restriction) should be enough rather than using the Green Card.

The good news is now your can request replacement SSN card through online. You don't have to go to SSN office and stand in the line. Below is the link to place the request
        https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/
        For I-9 form you don't need to have SSN without restriction if you have Green card on hand., See topic:

Comment

Originally posted by harry1983 View Post

For I-9 form you don't need to have SSN without restriction if you have Green card on hand., See topic:
          https://www.immihelp.com/forum/after...-advice-please
          I am not saying it won't work it will but instead of using GC, you can simply use the unrestricted SSN that should suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by luckycharm4111 View Post

I am not saying it won't work it will but instead of using GC, you can simply use the unrestricted SSN that should suffice.
            true

Comment

Thanks for your information.
              I appreciate your help
              San Jose F1 AOS with UC 4 forms
              9/24 2019: Sent 4 forms to Chicago
              9/27 2019: PD
              11/1/2019 : Fingerprints done
              12/13/2019:Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview
              1/21/2020: Interview was scheduled
              2/25/2020 12pm: we interviewed in San Jose.
              2/25/2020 5:00pm: I-485 new card is being produced.

Comment

Originally posted by xingmin View Post
                Hi everyone,

Yes, replace the card so that the card doesn’t have the restriction on it. Also some employees go through extra steps of work authorization verification when your SS card has the work only written on it.

I also learned the hard way that if you buy lottery and win over a certain amount and have to pay taxes on it, you have to carry your social security card with you to claim your earnings. If the SS has the work only written on it, you are taxed higher than a resident. Weird right? But yup, I had to leave the redemption office and update my SS in order to pay the lesser of the taxes. So though keeping the SS card with the work only authorization info listed on it doesn’t hinder everything, it does cause extra steps so whenever you get the time, make sure you update it.
                Field Office: Hartford, CT
                PD: 5/21/2019
                Filed forms: I-130; I-485; I-765
                B1/B/2 married to USC
                5/21/2019: I-130 and I-484 received
                7/12/2019: fingerprint review complete
                8/29/2019: received rejected form I-485 due to bounced check
                9/11/2019: mailed new I-485 with new check and I-765
                10/22/2019: biometrics complete
                11/22/2019: ready to schedule interview
                12/18/2019: called USCIS and request exp on I-485
                12/20/2019: Expedite received and complete
                12/26/2019: I-765 approved

Comment

Originally posted by HartfordCtFilerI-485 View Post

Yes, replace the card so that the card doesn’t have the restriction on it. Also some employees go through extra steps of work authorization verification when your SS card has the work only written on it.

I also learned the hard way that if you buy lottery and win over a certain amount and have to pay taxes on it, you have to carry your social security card with you to claim your earnings. If the SS has the work only written on it, you are taxed higher than a resident. Weird right? But yup, I had to leave the redemption office and update my SS in order to pay the lesser of the taxes. So though keeping the SS card with the work only authorization info listed on it doesn’t hinder everything, it does cause extra steps so whenever you get the time, make sure you update it.
                  No, that doesn't work like it. It should be the same for everyone but when you say resident in tax terminology, it is different doesn't literally mean green card.

In order to be resident of any state, it is like 180 days requirement but you can check it online. You know what I am trying to say.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X