Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are permanent residents allowed to apply for Unemployment Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are permanent residents allowed to apply for Unemployment Insurance?

I am a conditional greencard holder and as far as I know I cannot really take advantage of public assistance or benefits.

That said, is Unemployment Insurance considered a public benefit / assistance? Can permanent residents apply for Unemployment Insurance due to the covid19 pandemic?

Looking forward to your responses!

Yes, you can get unemployment benefits.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Good night everyone. I’m a concurrent filer from September 2019; I submit my i864 form late because I did not get an RFE to submit it. Will that be a problem even though I submit it after because I did not sent it with the packet at the time when submitting the rest of the application forms.

Comment

Originally posted by Mkc View Post
        Good night everyone. I’m a concurrent filer from September 2019; I submit my i864 form late because I did not get an RFE to submit it. Will that be a problem even though I submit it after because I did not sent it with the packet at the time when submitting the rest of the application forms.
        Make your own thread. This is not about you and your issue.

Let’s stick to the topic. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
          Yes, you can get unemployment benefits.
          Noted!

So it’s safe to apply for Unemployment insurance?

Comment

Comment

Unemployment Insurance is not a public benefit. Still not sure, google the same question. You’ll see.
              B2; AoS; Same-Sex Marriage:USC
              FO SanFrancisco

3/30/18 PD
              4/20/18 Received 4 letters
              5/04/18 Walk In Biometrics
              5/14/18 Status update-CaseTracker, "Ready to be scheduled for interview"
              9/08/18 New card being produced-CaseTracker
              9/11/18 EAD/AP approved-uscis.gov
              9/12/18 Received tracking number for EAD/AP card
              9/14/18 Received EAD/AP
              9/17/18 Received Social Sec card
              2/17/19 Traveled abroad
              3/04/19 Paroled back in country using EAD/AP
              3/11/19 Submitted renewal of EAD/AP

Comment

Did you guys get to read this?

Alert: On Dec. 23, 2022, the Department of Homeland Security’s

It looks like there’s going to be a LOT of paperwork involved to explain to USCIS why we availed of the Unemployment Insurance...

What are your thoughts on the statement of USCIS re this?

Comment

Originally posted by ihaveit29 View Post
                  Did you guys get to read this?

Alert: On Dec. 23, 2022, the Department of Homeland Security’s

It looks like there’s going to be a LOT of paperwork involved to explain to USCIS why we availed of the Unemployment Insurance...

What are your thoughts on the statement of USCIS re this?
                  There is no paperwork that asks about unemployment insurance. What are you referring to?

Also, the question is asking about people who are already permanent residents. What "paperwork" would they need?

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post

There is no paperwork that asks about unemployment insurance. What are you referring to?

Also, the question is asking about people who are already permanent residents. What "paperwork" would they need?
                    I read here that those who seek for unemployment insurance would have to give evidence and to write an explanation to USCIS why they applied for it:

https://www.imwong.com/questions-rel...d-immigration/

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ic-charge.html

here’s another USCIS link with more info on public charge:

https://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-shee...rge-fact-sheet

It looks like USCIS will only waive unemployment benefits pertaining to covid testing and care. Did not read any statement from USCIS saying they are OK if individuals like me could apply for unemployment/financial insurance, or maybe I missed it?

Obviously im not an expert in this topic so i’m just super confused. I’d love to apply for an unemployment insurance, but also, don’t want it to hurt my upcoming application to remove the condition status from my greencard and also later on for naturalization.

Comment

Originally posted by ihaveit29 View Post

I read here that those who seek for unemployment insurance would have to give evidence and to write an explanation to USCIS why they applied for it:

https://www.imwong.com/questions-rel...d-immigration/

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ic-charge.html

here’s another USCIS link with more info on public charge:

https://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-shee...rge-fact-sheet

It looks like USCIS will only waive unemployment benefits pertaining to covid testing and care. Did not read any statement from USCIS saying they are OK if individuals like me could apply for unemployment/financial insurance, or maybe I missed it?

Obviously im not an expert in this topic so i’m just super confused. I’d love to apply for an unemployment insurance, but also, don’t want it to hurt my upcoming application to remove the condition status from my greencard and also later on for naturalization.
                      None of those places say that you will be asked about unemployment insurance on any form or need to write an explanation about unemployment insurance. I am not sure where you are getting that.

Comment

I’m having the same doubts ... but I’ve read that it’s really ok. Ive asked my congressman but haven’t heard from her yet, it’s been 4 days. I think I’m going to apply , following all the search that I be done. I’ve read that it’s a benefit that you earn from working it’s not something you just get from the government .

Comment

I just for this article! It says one can apply ! https://www.immigrationlawyerblog.co...irus+crisis%3F

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X