Confusing interview cancellation email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing interview cancellation email

I received a cancellation email today but it was confusing to me for a couple reasons, I pasted the email below so you all can see

“There has been a recent processing action taken on your case.

Receipt Number: MSC***

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

Your Case Status: Decision

On March 31, 2020, we cancelled your interview for your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS, Receipt Number MSC***, and mailed you a cancellation notice. We will notify you by mail if the appointment is rescheduled, a decision is made, or if we need something from you. Please follow any instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your notice by April 30, 2020, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschangeto give us your new mailing address.

During this step the formal decision (approved/denied) is written and the decision notice is mailed and/or emailed to the applicant/petitioner. You can use our current processing time to gauge when you can expect to receive a final decision.

Log-in to your myUSCIS account to view your case history and understand what you can expect to happen next on your case.
    Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at under Check Processing Times.”

The 2 confusing things for me are:
    1. “Your Case Status: Decision”
    2. “ During this step the formal decision (approved/denied) is written and the decision notice is mailed and/or emailed to the applicant/petitioner. You can use our current processing time to gauge when you can expect to receive a final decision. ”

I received no RFE and my case went smooth as far as I know until the cancellation email because of the pandemic. I know many of you have received the cancellation email too. Could you please check and let me know if you received emails with same wording? Thanks a lot. I included my timeline below.

Marriage based
    Concurrent filings: I130, I485, I131,I765
    Field Office: Wichita, KS

10/26/19: package delivered
    11/11/19: text message by USCIS
    11/22/19: biometric appointment letter received
    12/3/19: biometric appointment
    1/3/20: ready to schedule interview
    2/6/20: interview scheduled email
    2/13/20: received interview date mail notice, the planned interview date was 4/14/20
    3/15/20: received mail : fingerprints applied to Form I-131 update
    3/31/20: received interview cancellation email

Did you file the medical exam with your I-485? I did not but my email also shows "decision". But the online account still shows "Interview Cancelled And Notice Ordered"

Comment

Originally posted by Choony View Post
      I received a cancellation email today but it was confusing to me for a couple reasons, I pasted the email below so you all can see

“There has been a recent processing action taken on your case.

Receipt Number: MSC***

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

Your Case Status: Decision

On March 31, 2020, we cancelled your interview for your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS, Receipt Number MSC***, and mailed you a cancellation notice. We will notify you by mail if the appointment is rescheduled, a decision is made, or if we need something from you. Please follow any instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your notice by April 30, 2020, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschangeto give us your new mailing address.

During this step the formal decision (approved/denied) is written and the decision notice is mailed and/or emailed to the applicant/petitioner. You can use our current processing time to gauge when you can expect to receive a final decision.

Log-in to your myUSCIS account to view your case history and understand what you can expect to happen next on your case.
      Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at under Check Processing Times.”

The 2 confusing things for me are:
      1. “Your Case Status: Decision”
      2. “ During this step the formal decision (approved/denied) is written and the decision notice is mailed and/or emailed to the applicant/petitioner. You can use our current processing time to gauge when you can expect to receive a final decision. ”

I received no RFE and my case went smooth as far as I know until the cancellation email because of the pandemic. I know many of you have received the cancellation email too. Could you please check and let me know if you received emails with same wording? Thanks a lot. I included my timeline below.

Marriage based
      Concurrent filings: I130, I485, I131,I765
      Field Office: Wichita, KS

2/13/20: received interview date mail notice, the planned interview date was 4/14/20
      i got the same email. do not be confuse, just wait until it is re assoigned.
      NBC / NYC-Queens
      Married to USC, adjusting from B1/B2/ my PD: 11-12-2019
      New card Being produced: 02/20/2020
      i-131/i-765 Approved: 02/21/2020
      Interview was scheduled 02/28/2020
      Interview cancelled 03/31/2020
      EAD renewal sent on :10/01/2020- EAD card received on 01/12/2021
      Interview schedule 01/13/2021
      Interview on 02/01/2021
      Interview cancelled due to snow storm on 02/01/2021
      interview scheduled again for 03/23/2021
      I130/I485 approved 03/23/2021, card arrived on usps 03/29/2021

Comment

My interview cancelled second time first it was scheduled on 03/16/2020 and secondly it was scheduled on 04/21/2020.

Interview Cancelled And Notice Ordered

On March 31, 2020, we cancelled your interview for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSCxxx, and mailed you a cancellation notice. We will notify you by mail if the appointment is rescheduled, a decision is made, or if we need something from you. Please follow any instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your notice by April 30, 2020, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

Hopefully they just approve the case.
        Timeline:
        11/28/2019 Package Delivered- I485,I130,I765,I131
        12/09/2019 Received receipts
        01/26/2020 Fingerprints Notice
        02/03/2020 Fingerprints Completed
        02/09/2020 I693 courtesy letter
        02/14/2020 Interview scheduled for 03/26/2020
        03/14/2020 Interview Cancelled
        03/27/2020 Interview Rescheduled to 04/21/2020
        04/01/2020 Interview Cancelled again
        04/02/2020 Case is ready to schedule interview

Comment

I got the same email and I was curious about the phrase "Your Case Status: Decision" also. I emailed my attorney and he said it was probably just an email template that was reused they forgot to update that line.

It is interesting however that they state we will notify you if ... "a decision is made".

I'm also hopeful that it will just be approved, we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately my interview will be cancelled too since the closure of the offices was extended until May

As I was reading your e-mail I started to wonder if it would be possible for uscis to approve cases without an interview. Has anyone witnessed that before?

Their processing times and backlog are already insane and I know that with the new public charge policy they got a huuuuge amount of cases that came in February/early March and a lot of those people didn’t even get a receipt number yet.

Comment

Married to USC, adjusting from B1/B2

PD: 11-12-2019
              Bio: 12-11-2019
              RFe: 01-13-2020
              Uscis response RFe received: 01-28-2020
              Ready to schedule interview : 02/05/2020
              EAD recceived 02/27/2020
              had to request SS card 03/06/2020
              Received SS card 03/12/2020
              Ready to schedule interview : 04/01/2020

NBC / NYC-brooklyn
              NBC / NYC-Queens
              Married to USC, adjusting from B1/B2/ my PD: 11-12-2019
              EAD renewal sent on :10/01/2020- EAD card received on 01/12/2021
              Interview schedule 01/13/2021
              Interview on 02/01/2021
              Interview cancelled due to snow storm on 02/01/2021
              interview scheduled again for 03/23/2021
              I130/I485 approved 03/23/2021, card arrived on usps 03/29/2021

Comment

Hi everyone,
                I received another email today, now my status is back to Testing and Interview.
                Here's my updated timeline

4/1/20: received email that interview is ready to be scheduled

Originally posted by stephd View Post
                Hello everyone,

Unfortunately my interview will be cancelled too since the closure of the offices was extended until May

As I was reading your e-mail I started to wonder if it would be possible for uscis to approve cases without an interview. Has anyone witnessed that before?

Their processing times and backlog are already insane and I know that with the new public charge policy they got a huuuuge amount of cases that came in February/early March and a lot of those people didn’t even get a receipt number yet.
                I spent a good amount of time to Google yesterday, I saw post online that said they got GC without interview but I question the validity of it since there's no way to verify. USCIS already had a long processing time and backlogs before the pandemic, now our interviews got cancelled and they have to reschedule, I wonder if we will be at the back of the queue
                I thought about it for a while about how USCIS is gonna handle this, there are a couple scenarios that I came up with:
                1. We got to the back end of the queue >>This sucks because I still haven't gotten my EAD, waiting in limbo coupling with the pandemic going on
                2. They try to push us in the same order that we were in before all this happened, that means they have to ramp up, extend their schedule, work more hours, put more people in, which is very unlikely under this virus thing going for who-knows-how-long and they already reduced their working capacity. So in order for us to keep the same order in the queue, they need to cancel tons of others interviews that they already scheduled, which is messy, I don't know how long they scheduled those appoinments in advance so I have no clue how hard it would be for them to do all that just to keep the order.
                From what I heard, even in before the pandemic happened, the order didn't apply in many cases, you may still get the GC before me even if you submitted months after I did.
                3. They approve GC without interview for some cases, this is extremely unlikely because it feels like breaking rules and being unfair to other cases in normal time, although I know waiting some extra months for me is hard.

Bottom line, those are all just my speculations. This whole immigration process is long and stressful for us, unfortunately, another unprecedented thing happened just before we got to our interviews, it has been extra hard on us, same goes for USCIS, I really don't know how they're gonna handle this, it's really hard on them too and seems like they're trying their best. We have to wait, stay sane and hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Choony View Post
                  Hi everyone,
                  I received another email today, now my status is back to Testing and Interview.
                  Here's my updated timeline

4/1/20: received email that interview is ready to be scheduled

I spent a good amount of time to Google yesterday, I saw post online that said they got GC without interview but I question the validity of it since there's no way to verify. USCIS already had a long processing time and backlogs before the pandemic, now our interviews got cancelled and they have to reschedule, I wonder if we will be at the back of the queue
                  I thought about it for a while about how USCIS is gonna handle this, there are a couple scenarios that I came up with:
                  1. We got to the back end of the queue >>This sucks because I still haven't gotten my EAD, waiting in limbo coupling with the pandemic going on
                  2. They try to push us in the same order that we were in before all this happened, that means they have to ramp up, extend their schedule, work more hours, put more people in, which is very unlikely under this virus thing going for who-knows-how-long and they already reduced their working capacity. So in order for us to keep the same order in the queue, they need to cancel tons of others interviews that they already scheduled, which is messy, I don't know how long they scheduled those appoinments in advance so I have no clue how hard it would be for them to do all that just to keep the order.
                  From what I heard, even in before the pandemic happened, the order didn't apply in many cases, you may still get the GC before me even if you submitted months after I did.
                  3. They approve GC without interview for some cases, this is extremely unlikely because it feels like breaking rules and being unfair to other cases in normal time, although I know waiting some extra months for me is hard.

Bottom line, those are all just my speculations. This whole immigration process is long and stressful for us, unfortunately, another unprecedented thing happened just before we got to our interviews, it has been extra hard on us, same goes for USCIS, I really don't know how they're gonna handle this, it's really hard on them too and seems like they're trying their best. We have to wait, stay sane and hope for the best.
                  They usually schedule the interview a little over a month in advance so I’d hope they don’t jump the gun and schedule for May/June newer cases that are “ready to be scheduled”.

I really hope that we see some results with the quarantine and soon everything goes back to normal.
                  When that happens, I hope they go back to rescheduling the interviews that have been canceled.

So many people have been waiting for so long!! I started dealing with paperwork in late April 2019 and finally got to submit the process in August. It’s been almost a year in this draining journey.

Comment

We also received this 'Interview Cancelled and Noticed Ordered' update on March 31st, exact wording as you - our interview was originally scheduled for April 16th, field office: Portland OR. Medical exam has already been filed, our case has been smooth so far.

I was also confused by 'Your Case Status: Decision'! I started wondering if they had 'decided' to approve our case without rescheduling a new interview. Wishful thinking, but I can wish!

We still haven't received anything in the mail. Would love to know if anybody has received the actual mail notice stating that their interview was:
                    a) simply cancelled or b) it has been rescheduled to a new date or c) it will be rescheduled and they will let us know the date when they know?

Thanks! And good luck stay safe everyone

Comment

My interview just got rescheduled today! I’m happy but also kinda bummed at the same time as I’ve seen some cases being approved with no interview, was hopeful that would happen to me as well.

Now I just have to sit and wait for the notice with the date and hope the situation is under control by then!

Comment

Originally posted by stephd View Post
                        My interview just got rescheduled today! I’m happy but also kinda bummed at the same time as I’ve seen some cases being approved with no interview, was hopeful that would happen to me as well.

Now I just have to sit and wait for the notice with the date and hope the situation is under control by then!
                        When was the date of your original interview? Ours was April 2
                        AOS Married to USC
                        12 Aug 2019 Notice of Application Received

03 Mar 2020 Interview Scheduled for 02 Apr 2020
                        26 Mar 2020 Interview Cancelled

15 Apr 2020 EAD card received
                        20 Jul 2020 Notice of Interview Scheduled
                        27 Jul 2020 Interview date received: 27 Aug 2020

Comment

rayrom my original interview would have been on April 22

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X