X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage based i-485, request Asylum approval as evidence

Today I got a request for evidence with 2 items requested:
    1. I-693
    2. Copy of the approval letter from the Asylum Office notifying you that asylum application has been granted.
    What should I send and why they are asking for #2 if my i-485 was marriage-based? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Originally posted by 9-29-2019 View Post
    Today I got a request for evidence with 2 items requested:
    1. I-693
    2. Copy of the approval letter from the Asylum Office notifying you that asylum application has been granted.
    What should I send and why they are asking for #2 if my i-485 was marriage-based? Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Did you ever apply for Asylum? If so, did you close the case? or did you mistakenly check in the I-485 that you applied based asylum?
    05/08/20: I-485, I-765, I-131, I-944 sent to USCIS
    05/13 Rejected due to lack of I-864
    05/27 resubmitted with explanation
    06/03 Rejected again-same reason
    06/13 Resubmitted with I-864
    07/07 Lockbox emailed back and ask to resubmit
    07/09 Filings accepted with PD 05/08/20 (nice)
    08/06 Prior biometrics applied to I485
    08/28 Took biometrics for I-765 only
    09/28 I-765's Cards Ordered
    10/02 EAD/AP received
    04/12 Interview Sched
    05/11 Interview done approval on the spot but no USCIS update online

Comment

Originally posted by Tibwa View Post

Did you ever apply for Asylum? If so, did you close the case? or did you mistakenly check in the I-485 that you applied based asylum?
      Yes, I did. No, I didn't close the case.
      No, applied based - Immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, Form I-130.
      My wife's form is approved already in May 2020.

Thank you!

Comment

Yes, I did. No, I didn't close the case.
        No, applied based - Immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, Form I-130.
        My wife's form is approved already in May 2020.

Thank you!
        Then you need to find some legal advice. From what I know you cannot have multiples AOS open at the same time. YOu definitely don't want to continue the asylum case, which is likely to get denied. You can see in the RFE something is wrong. You need to talk to the people that were helping you with the asylum case. ALWAYS make sure you don't get an unnecessary deny, which can complicate your case.
        10/02 EAD/AP received
        04/12 Interview Sched

Comment

Thank you. This forum full of people who keep the asylee case opened and close it after getting a marriage-based Green Card.
          Will try to figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tibwa View Post

Then you need to find some legal advice. From what I know you cannot have multiples AOS open at the same time. YOu definitely don't want to continue the asylum case, which is likely to get denied. You can see in the RFE something is wrong. You need to talk to the people that were helping you with the asylum case. ALWAYS make sure you don't get an unnecessary deny, which can complicate your case.
            You can have more than one AOS at the same time without any problem , I’m sure.
            you can have pending or closed asylum and apply for family base AOS without any issue.
            H1b visa
            Concurrent F2A forms I-130 ,I-130A, I-485, I-864,I-944, I-765, I-693
            self filling with attorney consultation
            F.O Minneapolis, Mn
            6/12/2020 Package sent usps
            6/15 delivered
            6/26 checks cashed
            text messages with receipt # Sunday 6/28
            07/06/2020 received 3 receipts in the mail for I-130,1-765 &I-485
            8/7/2020 received biometric notice for 8/17
            8/17 fingerprints done & case updated
            9/22 I-130 approved
            11/17 I-485 was reopened (never closed)
            11/18 I-765 approved
            12/22/20 I-485 approved

Comment

Originally posted by Gcapplicant2019 View Post

You can have more than one AOS at the same time without any problem , I’m sure.
              you can have pending or closed asylum and apply for family base AOS without any issue.
              I actually know a close case. My brother applied for asylum, then got married. However, his asylum case was pending and did not have interview schedule. His lawyer closed the asylum case with the new AOS through immediate family. It is very important to know where you are at in the process when sending multiple applications to USCIS. I personally had 3 status at once, H1b switched to TPS before expiration while I had an approved I-130 from my dad. The fact he is doing an immediate relative AOS and they send RFE for the asylums case implies something is wrong. USCIS needs to get some clarification.
              Last edited by Tibwa; 08-25-2020, 03:19 PM.
              10/02 EAD/AP received
              04/12 Interview Sched

Comment

Did you enter the US legally as a nonimmigrant and then applied for asylum?

Are you in removal proceedings and applied for asylum as a defense against removal?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
                  Did you enter the US legally as a nonimmigrant and then applied for asylum?

Are you in removal proceedings and applied for asylum as a defense against removal?
                  Legally as a nonimmigrant and then applied.
                  No removal. Nothing happened with my case since I came. (5 years ago).
                  I think the officer made a mistake honestly... But I am not sure. I saw many posts here then people got marriage-based GC with asylum pending.

Comment

Legally as a nonimmigrant and then applied.
                    No removal. Nothing happened with my case since I came. (5 years ago).
                    I think the officer made a mistake honestly... But I am not sure. I saw many posts here then people got marriage-based GC with asylum pending.
                    The only thing I could think of here is if your petitioner a green card holder, so you should proof that you maintained your Nonimmigrant status or got asylum approved. Is your petitioner USC or LPR?
                    H1b visa
                    Concurrent F2A forms I-130 ,I-130A, I-485, I-864,I-944, I-765, I-693
                    self filling with attorney consultation
                    F.O Minneapolis, Mn
                    6/12/2020 Package sent usps
                    6/15 delivered
                    6/26 checks cashed
                    text messages with receipt # Sunday 6/28
                    07/06/2020 received 3 receipts in the mail for I-130,1-765 &I-485
                    8/7/2020 received biometric notice for 8/17
                    8/17 fingerprints done & case updated
                    9/22 I-130 approved
                    11/17 I-485 was reopened (never closed)
                    11/18 I-765 approved
                    12/22/20 I-485 approved

Comment

Originally posted by Gcapplicant2019 View Post

The only thing I could think of here is if your petitioner a green card holder, so you should proof that you maintained your Nonimmigrant status or got asylum approved. Is your petitioner USC or LPR?
                      She is a citizen. Her case is approved already (i-130 with my name)... Looks like the officer looked at my status (Pending asylum applicant) but didn't check part 2 1.a of i-485. The checkbox on Immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, Form I-130.
                      I hope it is a mistake.

Comment

On your I-485, did you put your status as the status you entered on? Or did you say asylee? They may be confused and may be thinking that you are adjusting from asylee status, which is not what you are claiming. In any case, you should truthfully respond that your asylum case has not been approved.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
                          On your I-485, did you put your status as the status you entered on? Or did you say asylee? They may be confused and may be thinking that you are adjusting from asylee status, which is not what you are claiming. In any case, you should truthfully respond that your asylum case has not been approved.
                          Yes, I said a pending applicant in my form. Paragraph 1.a (Family-based) is checked. Asylum is 1.d was ignored like other paragraphs.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X