RFE for I-130?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFE for I-130?

Hello everyone. Earlier this year, I (US citizen) submitted I-130 and I-145 for my immigrant wife. Since then, she has received her EAD card and we recently received a RFE for the I-130 requesting evidence to prove a legitimate marriage. I have compiled the following: lease agreement, joint bank account, joint tax return, her being on my health, car, life, and renter’s insurance, bank statements from my two personal accounts, photos of us with our families, and a total of six affidavits from our family/friends. Regarding this, I have three questions.

1. Does this seem like enough materials to prove the legitimacy of our case? In the initial submission, I know I included our marriage certificate and lease agreement as supplemental materials, but I don’t recall anything else because it was so long ago.

2. Does this RFE mean that our interview may be waived if it’s accepted?

3. Should we include the medical exam documents with this RFE? I wasn’t sure because said exam is usually part of the 485 if I remember correctly and we had planned to bring it to the interview.

I am very worried about all of this, so I would greatly appreciate any help you guys may have. Seriously, it would make my day. Thank you so much.

This is my second time through the process and it is difficult to say as substantially enough documents for one agent may be wholly insufficient for another. If you're unsure, more is better i.e. car title in both your names, history of joint credit card statements, history of joint utility statements, notarized advance directives for each other, IRA/401K with wife as beneficiary, estate plan if you have one etc.

Do not count on your interview being waived as that would depend upon many other circumstances (i.e. agent, office, docs submitted, regulations etc) though there are rare exceptions.

Do not include the medical exam docs unless specifically requested. Just take them unopened from the doctor to the interview. Med docs do not prove marriage legitimacy.

Comment

Originally posted by pphuff View Post
      This is my second time through the process and it is difficult to say as substantially enough documents for one agent may be wholly insufficient for another. If you're unsure, more is better i.e. car title in both your names, history of joint credit card statements, history of joint utility statements, notarized advance directives for each other, IRA/401K with wife as beneficiary, estate plan if you have one etc.

Do not count on your interview being waived as that would depend upon many other circumstances (i.e. agent, office, docs submitted, regulations etc) though there are rare exceptions.

Do not include the medical exam docs unless specifically requested. Just take them unopened from the doctor to the interview. Med docs do not prove marriage legitimacy.
      Thank you so much for commenting. I wish we had those additional documents you mentioned, but unfortunately I listed everything that we share. I’ve had my car for years, so we just share it now. We have separate credit cards, as we found that keeping our finances individual works better for us as a couple. The utility bills are all in my name, I never even considered putting them in both of our name...didn’t know it was even an option since my parents never did that. No 401k or estate plans, either. We’re a young couple and it’s really upsetting to me that we seemingly don’t have enough evidence solely because we aren’t as far along in life

Comment

It is quite easy to go to your local DMV office and add a spouse to a title for reissuance. Many utility companies will also add a name to an account with a phone call. Consider opening a health savings account (lively.com) for both of you. It's free to open and funding is very minimal. That would be an additional piece of evidence of marriage validity. You can also print out text messages between you and your wife. If you both have traveled by air or taken trips together, document those (ticket purchases etc). If you both are on a single mobile phone account document that. Just some ideas...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X