Date of Birth Issue for Green Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rln8316

Hello, Do we need to get the approval from consulate before submitting documents to VFS? I read here somebody saying consulate sends the questionnaire to our account after submitting the documents. Could you please let me know. I am in the process of submitting to SFO.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbashsnd View Post
      rln8316

Hello, Do we need to get the approval from consulate before submitting documents to VFS? I read here somebody saying consulate sends the questionnaire to our account after submitting the documents. Could you please let me know. I am in the process of submitting to SFO.
      What do you mean by approval? Are you referring to submitting the documents and passport for date of birth change? If so, submit the application to the consulate and send the copy of the submitted application and the corresponding documents to VFS.
      | This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice |

Comment

shiva_82

I was talking about the questionnaire. I sent an email to SFO consulate explaining my situation about updating DOB in my passport. I did receive a questionnaire from them and submitted those along with self attested birth certificate. Shouldn't I need an approval on that before submitting the actual application to VFS? I thought we need to attach the approval letter from consulate while submitting the passport application.

Comment

I got my approval email from SFO consulate today morning. Going to start my application today. Vice Consul suggested to attach the approval email while submitting passport application to VFS.

Comment

Yes, Vice Consul will email the questionnaire. Unfortunately this step is not documented in the VFS checklist. So this will come as a surprise when we get notification from VFS that we need approval from Consulate.

Comment

Originally posted by rln8316 View Post
              Yes, Vice Consul will email the questionnaire. Unfortunately this step is not documented in the VFS checklist. So this will come as a surprise when we get notification from VFS that we need approval from Consulate.
              Hmm.... interesting...
              | This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice |

Comment

Originally posted by Cbashsnd View Post
                I got my approval email from SFO consulate today morning. Going to start my application today. Vice Consul suggested to attach the approval email while submitting passport application to VFS.
                @Cbashsnd How long the SFO consulate took to respond to your email? I got email from them asking to fill the questionnaire. I sent to them 10 days ago but no approval email yet. In your case how many days did they take to respond? Please share your experience.
                Last edited by MathanM; 06-06-2022, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rln8316 View Post
                  Last year, It took me about 3-4 months to get the passport back with corrected DOB. Back then, it they were processing slow due to pandemic.
                  I recently spoke with another person who was undergoing the same DOB change and it took about same time for him to get the passport back.

@rln8316 Plese help to share the timline from questionnaire submission to approval email from Consulate. I submitted questionnaire to consulate 10 days ago but no response yet.

Comment

MathanM

I got the approval next day. I sent an email last Friday explaining my situation and asked for questionnaire. Got a reply on Sunday and I responded back on the same day with required documents. Monday morning I got an approval email and suggested me to attach the email along with my application. The whole process took 3 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cbashsnd View Post
                      MathanM

I got the approval next day. I sent an email last Friday explaining my situation and asked for questionnaire. Got a reply on Sunday and I responded back on the same day with required documents. Monday morning I got an approval email and suggested me to attach the email along with my application. The whole process took 3 days.
                      @Cbashsnd
                      This is really fast. Not sure why its taking this long for my case. I sent email 10 days ago with all the requested details. Waiting for the response. I responded with my birth certificate. Can you please PM me the email Id that you send mail to. I can try to resend my details.
                      Last edited by MathanM; 06-06-2022, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• MathanM sent you a PM

Comment

• Thank you
                          Last edited by MathanM; 06-06-2022, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rln8316 View Post

My attorney advised me to change DOB in my passport to match with BC. It took me a while to change it. I have detailed my steps in previous posts in this thread which you can refer. Feel free to message me if you need further questions.
                            I think it may take about 2-3 months to get that corrected from the Consulate.
                            Thank you rln8316 for the helpful tips. I have submitted my 485 application with correct DOB and now need to start applying for passport change. I am confused if biometric / interview would need the passport. Since to apply change in DOB in passport I have to send the current passport in original, and if it take 2-3 months, would my passport be stuck with VFS for that long ? In case I get an interview scheduled from USCIS, can I request back my passport from VFS ?

I sent mail to Chicago consulate (my assigned consulate) as well Huston for approval. But strangely they replied different. Chicago replied that I need to correct my SSC certificate first as it was used for DOB in my first passport. Otherwise they would not correct based on recently issued BC. Huston replied that submit everything to VFS and then we will review and confirm.

I am in dilemma if I should send for passport update now or after biometric. As usual my company attorney is useless in responding / giving any advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Achi_bec View Post

Thank you rln8316 for the helpful tips. I have submitted my 485 application with correct DOB and now need to start applying for passport change. I am confused if biometric / interview would need the passport. Since to apply change in DOB in passport I have to send the current passport in original, and if it take 2-3 months, would my passport be stuck with VFS for that long ? In case I get an interview scheduled from USCIS, can I request back my passport from VFS ?

I sent mail to Chicago consulate (my assigned consulate) as well Huston for approval. But strangely they replied different. Chicago replied that I need to correct my SSC certificate first as it was used for DOB in my first passport. Otherwise they would not correct based on recently issued BC. Huston replied that submit everything to VFS and then we will review and confirm.

I am in dilemma if I should send for passport update now or after biometric. As usual my company attorney is useless in responding / giving any advice.

I think for biometrics, you can enter using any your photo Identity - Driving license or State ID but i am not sure about interview. I am assuming you have submitted your I485 recently, so i would assume you will receive biometrics first before interview. I would not worry about Interview at this point.

Unfortunately, your passport will be with VFS/ Consulate until the decision has been made on your application. I think you can request for passport for any emergency purposes but you need re-apply again by paying all the fees.

I m not sure, why Chicago Consulate said SSC certificate is important. Maybe you can rely the message from Houston and get their re-opinion or send your passport based on the reply from Houston (Attach their e-mail as one of the backups?).

Comment

• Thank you rln8316 for your suggestions ! I have sent my passport for re-issuance. Let's see how they comeback.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X