Applying for AOS with expired passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for AOS with expired passport

Hi, I like to know if you can apply for i-485 with an expired passport, im renewing it as we speak but it takes about 3 weeks and my priority date is in 1 week, so I plan to submit my AOS packet with a copy of my expired passport in 1 week if that is okay, and will have a current passport by the interview date.

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thank you

My attorney advised me the same and asked me to have a current passport available at the time of interview. If you want piece of mind, wait till your PP is current/renewed.

Comment

Originally posted by daru786 View Post
      My attorney advised me the same and asked me to have a current passport available at the time of interview. If you want piece of mind, wait till your PP is current/renewed.

Hi, Daru

I know there is a requirement saying that you need a passport with at least 6 months to expire to apply a visa at a consulate abroad. Does this requirement apply here?

My passport is gonna expire in Feb, 2011 and I am expecting my AOS interview to be late Sep, 2010. Is there gonna be a problem?

Thank you~

Comment

I will share you my experience. I am applying for AOS in US. My passport got expired in 2008. I couldn't get a new one since the anal people of the consulate of my country want to see an actual green card for my passport renewal.
        So in short, my attorney advised me to make copies of all the pages of my expired passport and sent it out with my application for AOS. Since I will be receiving an EAD within six months after I file my application, I will use the EAD to get a new passport.
        At the time of interview, (4 to 6 months) I will have my current passport.

Comment

Six months validity of a passport is a international law for traveling overseas. You may apply for a new passport before the expiration provided you explain them the purpose.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X