Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling for Adjustment of Status

Hi everyone,
    I just sign up for this forum and have so many questions!
    I got married in december for US citizen and we are starting to prepare the documents to file for adjustment of status. For many reasons we are not using an attorney and doing it on our own. I have been reading a lot in this forum but rather help me I think its a big mess in my head and its giving me such a big stress that I don't even want to start. My first question is about the forms to be filed and the fees. I read so many discussions where people filed incorrect form or fees that I am scared that I am going to make a mistake, so I just want to confirm with you all and get advise on what forms I need to file and what fees ( one check or separate checks , money order or not). Can someone be my buddy and help me during this process? From my understanding forms to be file based on marriage to US citizen are:

Forms I-130, I-130A, I-485, I-864, and I-944
    Forms I-131 and I-765
    Is this correct? AM I missing something? Also how do I write and file the checks for the fees!
    Thank you very much in advance!

Anyone willing to help?

Comment

Sometimes this forum can be unhelpful simply because of the amount of information and the various non-legal (and non-specialized) knowledge. Usually reading the form's instructions and the corresponding webpage should always be your first point of reference as this is an official instruction from USCIS as to how to correctly file and ensure you don't get an RFE/RFIE/NOID. Most of these notices are issued because people failed to correctly follow the instructions. When this is the case, I usually have limited sympathy for people who have put themselves in the situation.

These sources will yield the answers to most questions, including the fees and what specific forms need to be filled. You will need to read the form a few times, but it is the best way to ensure everything is filled correctly.

Comment

Thank you for your answer! I am aware of the instructions as i said I have been doing my research and reading, however its just overwhelming for me and I need a second opinion to make sure I understand everything correct, I see so many people on here (even when they file with an attorney) having their documents returned. My husband is trying to help but he is working 7 days now and he is not detail oriented person and I on the other hand want everything right and perfect! Anyway! I appreciate the help!

Comment

Please read through this thread. https://www.immihelp.com/forum/adjus...interview-tips (it's the second thread on the adjustment of status section)
          There are many resources and experiences listed. Do not forget that all your evidence of bona fide marriage is required at the time that you file your I-130. Make sure to include evidence before the date of your marriage. It is important that USCIS does not think that you met on Monday, married on Tuesday and filed for AOS on Wednesday. All the best!

USCFFS

Comment

Hi Thanks! I have been reading them and they are very helpful. That where i saw how many mistakes and confusions occur so I decide to double check here. I have a lot of evidence I jsut have to sit down and organize the in a nice way!

Comment

Originally posted by SmithB View Post
              Hi Thanks! I have been reading them and they are very helpful. That where i saw how many mistakes and confusions occur so I decide to double check here. I have a lot of evidence I jsut have to sit down and organize the in a nice way!
              Yes, exactly. A lot of people do not read the instructions. Often times they do not realize that each form has an additional document that explains step by step how to fill out the form.
              Be safe!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X