File AOS right away or wait for 90 days after the visitor arrives in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File AOS right away or wait for 90 days after the visitor arrives in US

Is there a hard or soft mandate to wait for 90 days before applying for green card? Can we do I130 right after person arrives in US and then do AOS after 90 days? Or can we only apply all together after 90 days? I am applying for my mom.

From what I understand, no one should enter the USA without an immigrant visa with the intention to immigrate (or do AOS).
    In most cases, people travel to the USA for vacation, and then their children convince them to stay and then do the AOS process.
    Some people wait 90 days or more as proof of no preconceived intention to immigrate but the officer can do extra questioning if they feel this is not the case.
    Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
    Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
    Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
    ---
    All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Understood the actual rationale behind the intent. However, also want to hear some real experiences and general experience people have had from their applications. Or does filing I130 right away helps get ahead in the priority queue in any case given how long the applications take these days to process

Comment

Originally posted by jillynilly8 View Post
        Understood the actual rationale behind the intent. However, also want to hear some real experiences and general experience people have had from their applications. Or does filing I130 right away helps get ahead in the priority queue in any case given how long the applications take these days to process
        I would say, do not travel on a non immigrant visa if you plan to immigrate. Instead do a consular processing and come in with an immigration stamp.
        | This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice |

Comment

I think it's already been stated, but you shouldn't enter the US on a non-immigrant visa with the intent to AOS...that's a big no no. And if you immediately apply for I-130 then you are clearly doing this and the USCIS are not stupid. Doing things correctly takes longer, but has a much better success rate.
          EB1C (approved I-140)
          Package : I-131, I-485, I-765, I-693
          02/01/21 - Day 0 - sent to Phoenix
          02/02/21 - Day 1 - Delivered - signed by F.Brown
          04/02/21 - Day 60 - NOA Received for I-485, I-131, I-765
          04/02/21 - Day 60 - Transfer to Nebraska
          06/29/21 - Day 147 - Fingerprints Taken
          10/01/21 - Day 242 - EAD/AP Combo Card in hand
          07/07/22 - Day 521 - Transfer to Missouri
          07/13/22 - Day 527 - RFE for new I-693
          08/03/22 - Day 548 - New I-693 sent
          08/22/22 - Day 567 - New Card is being produced!!!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X