Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong mailing address on I-485 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled

Background:

My application for AOS along with I-131 and I-765 was submitted to USCIS in August and received by the USCIS on Aug 31st. I received the receipts for I-131 and I-765, however, I had not received the notice for I-485.
    While I was awaiting the notices for I-485, the lawyer received the receipt notice for the same and also the biometrics appointment notice after a few days. I entered notice no. in online case tracking and turned on notifications for any status changes.
    Just last night I received an email on the case status change saying the USPS couldn't deliver the case notice to my address. Confused with this status, I went back to check the mailing addresses entered on all the forms (should have checked before submission), I realized the lawyer had made a typo in entering my US mailing address on the I-485 and I also failed to catch it during my review before submission. I double-checked the scanned copies of all the other forms and confirmed it was only the US mailing address on I-485 that had a typo and all other places have the address correct including G-28, I-131, I-765, and other sections of the I-485 form.
    Fortunately, I have the scanned copy of the receipt and biometrics appointment notice received by the lawyer and my biometrics appointment is scheduled for Sept 26th (Monday).

Questions:
    1. Can I take a print of the scanned copy of the biometrics appointment notice received by the lawyer and appear for the biometrics as scheduled? Or will they need the original biometrics appointment notice received by either the lawyer or me?
    2. The status of the case online has now changed automatically to "Duplicate Notice Was Mailed". I had tried to submit an e-request for the copy of the receipt prior to this automatic status change, but that submission was not going through mostly because of the error "Do not submit a request if you have just recently been approved, allow approximately 30 days to receive your new notice". How do I know whether they are sending the notice to the correct address or still the old address?
    3. Is there a way to correct the typo in the US Mailing Address on the form I-485? I'm afraid any future correspondents may get sent to the incorrect address if this is not corrected.
    Appreciate your suggestions/input.

-DHP
    Attached Files

1- You can try with a copy. Can't you take the original received by your lawyer?
    2- Did you change the address? If not then the duplicate will be sent to the wrong address.
    3- You can use the online service to change the address (just for your I-485) here https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do

If you really change your address, then you will submit that online request for each form (we had to do one per submit as multiple forms in one submit error out)
    Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
    Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
    Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
    ---
    All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Enub4 View Post
      1- You can try with a copy. Can't you take the original received by your lawyer?
      2- Did you change the address? If not then the duplicate will be sent to the wrong address.
      3- You can use the online service to change the address (just for your I-485) here https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do

If you really change your address, then you will submit that online request for each form (we had to do one per submit as multiple forms in one submit error out)
      Thank you for your response.
      1 - The original is with the lawyer and his office is in a different state, which is why he shared the scanned copy for now. I am now considering to have him courier me the original copy overnight before Monday biometrics.
      2 - The status on the receipt automatically changed even before submitting the Change of Address form. So, I have a feeling that it is going to end up with the wrong address again. I will call the customer service (hopefully they help confirm) to see which address they sent it to.
      3 - Ok thanks. I just used it to submit the change of address to correct the address really.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X