Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSN after I-485

Hello,

My I-485 has been approved and I have got my card. I have received replacement SSN after I-485 is approved, but the card says 'Valis for wok only with DHS authorization'. I was expecting a change in the status after I-485 approval. But it is the same as my previous SSN.

Can anyone please help me understand this and how can I get SSN with updated status.

Thanks in advance

You can go to your local SSA office with your green card to apply for an updated SS card

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the update. While filing the application, I have mentioned about receiving SSN after GC. My attorney also mentioned that I would get a replacement card after approval which I got. To update the status on the card, should we go to local SSA office.

Comment

yes

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I am surprised that I got SSN replacement card (after green card) with the same restriction as I have before when I was on visa. Only the date has changed.

So, wanted to check if it is normal that we get SSN with restriction even after receiving green card and need to go to local SSA to have the restriction removed.

Comment

It is not normal. It is a mistake to issue a restricted SS card if your I-485 is approved. Is it possible this is the card they issued when your EAD (I-765) was approved?

Comment

sorry for the delayed reply. I have checked with my attorney if I will be issued SSN after I received EAD card. I was told that I will get the replacement SSN card only after getting the Green card and not after EAD. I got the replacement SSN card 2 days after receiving my green card.

Is there a way to know if any replacement SSN to be issued is in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Priyab81 View Post
                Is there a way to know if any replacement SSN to be issued is in progress.
                You can go to your local SSA office and ask if a replacement SSN without the legend is being issued, if not, then ask for one.
                Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
                Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
                Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
                ---
                All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X