Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to renew my GC as I'm planning to apply for citizenship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to renew my GC as I'm planning to apply for citizenship?

Hi

My 10 year GC is expiring in June 2014 and I want to apply for citizenship within the next month. I was wondering if I still need to apply for GC renewal and also apply for citizenship.

Also if I apply for GC renewal, I was wondering approximately how long does it take to get the new GC. I'm masschussets resident.

I will appreciate your early help.

Thanks.

If you submit your N-400,Naturalization Application, and your Green Card is shown as expiring soon, USCIS is likely to send you a request to provide at least a copy of the receipt Notice of Action for the I-90 to renew the Green Card.

If that doesn't happen, and you go to the Naturalization interview with an expired Green Card, you may be found ineligible for Naturalization. USICS staff normally ask you to surrender your Green Card at the interview.

-Ray B

Originally posted by High1 View Post
    Hi

My 10 year GC is expiring in June 2014 and I want to apply for citizenship within the next month. I was wondering if I still need to apply for GC renewal and also apply for citizenship.

Also if I apply for GC renewal, I was wondering approximately how long does it take to get the new GC. I'm masschussets resident.

I will appreciate your early help.

Thanks.

Comment

Um, they ask you to surrender your GC before you take the OATH, so they might take it during the interview if a same-day oath is available.

But, the rule for renewal is if you apply for naturalisation and you have less than 6 months left of your GC's validity at that point, you're required to renew it. You can try to go to the interview and hope they don't notice or mention it. If they want, though, they can delay the process until you show a renewal notice. You can take a chance if you like.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X