which city processes GC faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which city processes GC faster

My wife will be getting the visa interview soon.I am wondering to which city she can fly into after getting the visa(I am in Dallas/texas and have relatives in newark/boston)..does it make a difference?
    any inputs appreciated.
    VG

Does not make difference. Enter through POE whichever is most convenient/cheapest for you.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Just do not enter from the San Francisco Airport. Currently, the waiting time for the card (or even data entry) at SFO can be as long as one year according to the INS officer I talked to at the local office today. The SF(O) INS has been having "problem" sending visa packages to TSC. My A# is not even entered into the INS system 6 months after I entered the U.S and I may need to get another I-551 stamp.

It may not make difference for other cities (according to Immihelp), but it does if you come in at SFO !

Comment

I think city does make a difference going thru the various posts on this and other sites. I entered US thru JFK and recd my card in 45 days.

Comment

It will help if immihelp users come out with their experiences for the would-bes to plan for their POE. Please contribute

Comment

Why everybody is so concerned?

Why everybody is so concerned about how soon you receive your plastic card? It does not change your LPR status at all. It is just a proof of your LPR status valid for 10 years. That is all.

Comment

Re: Why everybody is so concerned?

Instead of 10-year renewal, you will have a one-year renewal for the stamp at the local INS office, especially if you need a document to "prove" your LPR status.

Same reasons that the INS ask people to renew their 10-year-old card.

Comment

you do not need a doc to prove your PR status

Only INS will require you to prove your LPR status at the POE. Your stamp is good enough.

The employer is instructed to accept the social security card(without restriction on it) and your driver licence as the proof of your employment eligibility. It is in the legal doc.

My point is you do not need to worry about it immediately after your POE. You may worry about it when it closes to 12 months. And the local INS office will reprocess your plastic card application if you did not receive it within 12 months.

Comment

The stamp is ok

Actually, you need to be able to prove your status at all times.
                  AFAIK, it is a requirement of the law. So you need to carry your PP (or the card, once you have it) with you all the time. I think it is a misdemeanor if you don't, and an INS officer (e.g., border patrol) asks for it.

As for employment, the I-9 specifies several ways to show your employment eligibility. The PP with the stamp actually is good enough. SS-Card w/o restriction and picture id, e.g., drivers license, is another possibility.

But I certainly agree that there is no need to worry about the card. I didn't even bother to call TSC to check on the status. At the POE, the officer told me it takes 6-8 months. I actually got the cards in about 2 months.
                  I guess it is hard after years of worrying about what things INS screws up next, but now you can just relax and enjoy your new freedom.

-JoeF

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X