Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waiting 7mths for renewed GC, 6mth extension expires in March, need to travel April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting 7mths for renewed GC, 6mth extension expires in March, need to travel April

Hi

My wife's GC expired Sept 2015. She filed to renew in May 2015 and did biometrics in June 2015. A sticker was put on the card extending the expiration to March 2016.

It's now January 2016, we need to travel abroad in April 2016 which is one month AFTER the sticker expiration, but we are yet to receive the new Green Card.

Given that it's been 6 months, I tried submitting a case investigation request in December and got the following - "Our review indicates that this case is within our current processing time. We regret any misunderstanding. If you do not receive a decision or notice of other action within our current processing time, check our website for an update or call customer service at the number provided below." I called the telephone number yesterday and the only thing I could do was get them to investigate again, telling me I would get an answer in 15-30 days.

That's all well and good but not much of a reassurance that the new card will arrive in time. Even more worrying is that if I go to the USCIS website to try to book an INFOPASS appointment to try to sort this out in person, it just says "At this time, there are no information appointments available for the office in your area. Please try back again later."

So I'm left wondering,
    (1) what are we supposed to do in this situation, how do we contact USCIS and ask them to extend the extension? What form would we even use or ask for?
    (2) if we are unable to get USCIS to do anything, the new card doesn't arrive and it gets to travel time in April, what on earth do we do? If we leave the country with an expired green card (plus supporting USCIS receipt for renewal and the biometrics notice), would they let us back in? Might the airline not even let us on board in the foreign country?

Thanks very much in advance!
    Last edited by drboogaloo; 01-16-2016, 07:09 PM.

sorted...

So this was very easy to sort out. We made an InfoPass appointment and went down to our local USCIS office and got an I-551 stamp in the passport confirming LPR and employment eligibility status with 1 year's validity.

Getting an InfoPass appointment basically involved checking online between 5-7pm and 11pm-1am every day, those were the only times that appointments ever opened up. However, I asked and was told that you could also just walk in if it was an emergency.

What is going on with GC renewal though I have no idea. Our June 2015 application was still in "pending" status.

Another useful tip we learned - if you check your case status online and it's in 'approved' status then you can enter your USCIS receipt number as a tracking number into the USPS website and it'll show if it's been sent.

Comment

Originally posted by drboogaloo View Post
      Hi

My wife's GC expired Sept 2015. She filed to renew in May 2015 and did biometrics in June 2015. A sticker was put on the card extending the expiration to March 2016.

It's now January 2016, we need to travel abroad in April 2016 which is one month AFTER the sticker expiration, but we are yet to receive the new Green Card.

Given that it's been 6 months, I tried submitting a case investigation request in December and got the following - "Our review indicates that this case is within our current processing time. We regret any misunderstanding. If you do not receive a decision or notice of other action within our current processing time, check our website for an update or call customer service at the number provided below." I called the telephone number yesterday and the only thing I could do was get them to investigate again, telling me I would get an answer in 15-30 days.

That's all well and good but not much of a reassurance that the new card will arrive in time. Even more worrying is that if I go to the USCIS website to try to book an INFOPASS appointment to try to sort this out in person, it just says "At this time, there are no information appointments available for the office in your area. Please try back again later."

So I'm left wondering,
      (1) what are we supposed to do in this situation, how do we contact USCIS and ask them to extend the extension? What form would we even use or ask for?
      (2) if we are unable to get USCIS to do anything, the new card doesn't arrive and it gets to travel time in April, what on earth do we do? If we leave the country with an expired green card (plus supporting USCIS receipt for renewal and the biometrics notice), would they let us back in? Might the airline not even let us on board in the foreign country?

Thanks very much in advance!

I am in the exact same boat as you. I filed in May also did Biometrics in June. They also placed that March 2016 extension sticker on my card however due to my drivers license needing to be renewed within a month and still no sign of the 10 year renewal or activity I made the infopass in Atlanta and went in without any hassle and got the I-551 1 year stamp in my passport then went to renew my drivers license the following day without issue. I asked how long these cards are taking, i have heard 9 months and I am currently at 8 so heres hoping the final card comes soon. I keep checking that ELIS site and it always says the same thing. Biometrics was done in May and case is processing.

Comment

My boyfriend is in the same boat. He applied to renew his green card in May 2015. Went in for biometrics in June 2015. It's now February (8 months!) and still no green card. He has been calling constantly. As of February 3rd, his case has been assigned to an officer for response regarding long processing time.

Comment

Update: status says as of 2/7/2016 card as been produced!

Comment

Originally posted by mj_per View Post
            Update: status says as of 2/7/2016 card as been produced!

I did the exact same thing and started a case Inquiry on Feb 9th on feb18th every changed to "card produced on Feb18th"

Comment

I also started a case Inquiry on feb 9th on feb18th I got the message updated to "Card produced on Feb 18th"

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Edgeworth View Post
                I also started a case Inquiry on feb 9th on feb18th I got the message updated to "Card produced on Feb 18th"
                Card showed up USPS Priority mail 2 days later

Comment

Help

Originally posted by Sean Edgeworth View Post
                  I did the exact same thing and started a case Inquiry on Feb 9th on feb18th every changed to "card produced on Feb18th"

Please help me too, i have same situation.
                  How i can do that case inquiry, what to do?

Comment

Help

Hi what i have to do so they process my case faster too?what to do?

Comment

Renewal Green Card

Hi friends

Me and my husband applied to renewal our green cart in Oct 2016 . we went in for biometrics in November /2/ 2016.
                      Its now June /16/2017 ( 9 months ) and still no green card . we keep cheking that uscis ,gov site and it always says the same thing (your case current : Biometrics Appointment was scheduel .
                      What can we do ?
                      Thanks a lot

Comment

Help

HI
                        Me and my husband applied to renewal our green cart in Oct 2016 . we went in for biometrics in November /2/ 2016.
                        Its now June /16/2017 ( 9 months ) and still no green card . we keep cheking that uscis ,gov site and it always says the same thing (your case current : Biometrics Appointment was scheduel .
                        What can you do for us ?
                        Thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by zemestan View Post
                          Hi friends

What can we do ?
                          Thanks a lot
                          Have you received your green card in the meantime?
                          I am in the same boat at the moment, applied for renewal in Feb. 2017, biometrics in March 2017, received a sticker on my current green card with extension to Dec. 2017, but I have not yet received the new one. What is the latest on processing times?

Comment

In same boat

Originally posted by globeat10 View Post
                            Have you received your green card in the meantime?
                            I am in the same boat at the moment, applied for renewal in Feb. 2017, biometrics in March 2017, received a sticker on my current green card with extension to Dec. 2017, but I have not yet received the new one. What is the latest on processing times?
                            Me too. Applied for renewal, Dec 2016, bio meet January, extension through Oct 2017, case still pending, only moved to bio received in June (or some status change) and saying they are working on Oct 2016 apps. Sounds like one year. But in meantime applying for new jobs. Wondering if I can walk into a local center (2 miles from home actually) and get a new extension sticker. My current passport as expired and not intending to travel overseas for in near future (USA has plenty of vacation spots!!!)

Comment

Green card renewal approved after 10 months

I thought I'd respond since this thread was helpful to me. I just received notification today that my green card 10-year renewal has been approved.

Application received by USCIS: Nov 14 2016
                              Biometrics appointment: Dec 9 2016
                              Got notification of approval, by email: Sep 20 2017
                              Still got to wait for the actual card to arrive!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X