Undefined Green Card status & retirement contributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undefined Green Card status & retirement contributions

I am a Green Card holder with an expired re-entry permit and I live outside of the US. I have always been paying taxes in the US since having the green card, however for family reasons I can't move to the US physically (and given the political climate right now, we are not very eager to).
    My accountant is prepping my 2017 taxes and he told me that with 10 years of taxes I will be eligible for social security. 2017 would be my fifth year of taxes.
    I am aware that if I travel to the US my GC will likely be revoked since I overstayed my re-entry permit and asking a VISA as a returning resident seems pointless as I have no intention to move physically there.

My question is... what if I simply avoid to travel to the US until 10 years, so that my GC doesn't get revoked, I keep paying taxes to the US and then collect social security? Is this doable?

You have been paying United States income taxes (maybe not given the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion) but perhaps not paying social security and medicare contribution

Do you work for either an American employer, or in a country with a Totalization Agreement (binational social security agreement) with the United States? Are you self-employed?

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      You have been paying United States income taxes (maybe not given the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion) but perhaps not paying social security and medicare contribution

Do you work for either an American employer, or in a country with a Totalization Agreement (binational social security agreement) with the United States? Are you self-employed?

I am self-employed and yes, I am using the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, but I still have to pay my self-employment tax. SE tax is a Social Security and Medicare tax primarily for individuals who work for themselves [source: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/self...d#obligations]

Comment

Cool

Check out page four onward of http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10137.html

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X