Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Card Process after Divorce

Need Help.

My friend an Indian lady who was married on November 2015 planning to divorce her husband . He is a well to do guy. She is planning for a no fault divorce not asking for ailmony. She was unhappy staying with him and she left his house .Her marriage was an arranged bonafide marriage and she lived with him 8 months due to delay in processing her green card. She was born and brought up in a Middle East country and she cannot return to this place unless she secures a job and an employment visa. She needs to know what she needs to do and how to remove condition on her green card?

Originally posted by DANTIS2018 View Post
    Need Help.

My friend an Indian lady who was married on November 2015 planning to divorce her husband . He is a well to do guy. She is planning for a no fault divorce not asking for ailmony. She was unhappy staying with him and she left his house .Her marriage was an arranged bonafide marriage and she lived with him 8 months due to delay in processing her green card. She was born and brought up in a Middle East country and she cannot return to this place unless she secures a job and an employment visa. She needs to know what she needs to do and how to remove condition on her green card?
    Did she actually become a permanent resident (get a green card)? Or is it still pending?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Removal of condition after divorce

She has the conditional green card. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

She has the conditional green card. Any help is greatly appreciated.
        She needs to apply for Removal of Conditions (I-751) by herself on the basis of divorce, when the divorce is final, or when she reaches the 90-day window before her 2-year card expires, whichever is sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
          She needs to apply for Removal of Conditions (I-751) by herself on the basis of divorce, when the divorce is final, or when she reaches the 90-day window before her 2-year card expires, whichever is sooner.
          Thank you . Yes we have read many of the forum members thread and got to know the above procedures ; need advise on how to go ahead with Divorce , how to find a divorce lawyer who knows about divorce and immigration laws and also how to find an Attorney who has experience removing condition on green card after divorce .. My friend is living in a small city at Tulsa OK. She has to move to a bigger city at least to find a job and to support herself.

Comment

Thank you . Yes we have read many of the forum members thread and got to know the above procedures ; need advise on how to go ahead with Divorce , how to find a divorce lawyer who knows about divorce and immigration laws and also how to find an Attorney who has experience removing condition on green card after divorce .. My friend is living in a small city at Tulsa OK. She has to move to a bigger city at least to find a job and to support herself.
            Friends , I was expecting some response from you all .

Help me to get through this please.

Comment

Friends , I was expecting some response from you all .

Help me to get through this please.
              there are plenty of divorce and immigration attorney's in Tulsa that are just a google search away. or if you can't find one there take a trip to Oklahoma City.
              This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Need Help.

My friend consulted a Lawyer over phone, and after discussing the situation she has quoted her an amount of US$5000/-. This is quite a big amount and she has to pay this before filing. She can't afford to pay that much in advance, I would like to know normally how much the Attorney will charge? If anyone can forward their Attorney, contact details . She needs Help and I request your support.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

fees

My friend consulted a Lawyer over phone, and after discussing the situation she has quoted her an amount of US$5000/-. This is quite a big amount and she has to pay this before filing. She can't afford to pay that much in advance, I would like to know normally how much the Attorney will charge? If anyone can forward their Attorney, contact details . She needs Help and I request your support.

Thanks in advance.
                  The cost of an attorney can vary greatly depending on experience and location. You are not limited to your own area, either. Most immigration attorneys have clients from all over. If your friend is unhappy with the cost, she can ask for a monthly payment plan or find an attorney who is willing to do that for her. Regardless, the cost to file to remove conditions is $680, so she will have to pay at least that amount. Self-petitions usually cost a lot more than joint petitions because they are more work. I recommend that your friend do a Google search and read some reviews.
                  2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
                  4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
                  4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
                  4/19: Request to expedite EAD
                  5/11: Received EAD
                  6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
                  8/09: Advance Parole approved
                  8/29: Scheduled for Interview
                  10/11: Interview
                  10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
                  10/16: Sent new G28
                  10/19: Approved!

Comment

Thanks in advance.
                    legal help especially regarding Divorce is expensive, like ember said the cost of an attorney varies. if she can't afford attorney fees then she probably shouldn't be getting a divorce.
                    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Thanks in advance.
                      A divorce lawyer or immigration lawyer? The divorce and the Removal of Conditions are separate things. Which part is she having trouble with? If she really can't pay for a divorce lawyer, she might be able to find pro bono divorce lawyers in her area.

Comment

A divorce lawyer or immigration lawyer? The divorce and the Removal of Conditions are separate things. Which part is she having trouble with? If she really can't pay for a divorce lawyer, she might be able to find pro bono divorce lawyers in her area.
                        Thanks for your response.

She will hire a Divorce Lawyer . That part is taken care of . She will start the process soon. But for Immigration Lawyer . The fees is too high?
                        She has enough time . I have forwarded your suggestion to her .

Comment

As explained earlier my friend applied for no fault divorce . Initially he agreed to sign and to give Affidavit on good faith marriage and sent it by email. When she asked for the original he replied as follows:-
                          " He is going to add in the decree that I do not allow her to file the I-751 (green card extension) without his signature." .
                          If he mention this in the divorce , will she be able to file I-751 or not.
                          Request your opinion asap.

Thanks

Comment

As explained earlier my friend applied for no fault divorce . Initially he agreed to sign and to give Affidavit on good faith marriage and sent it by email. When she asked for the original he replied as follows:-
                            " He is going to add in the decree that I do not allow her to file the I-751 (green card extension) without his signature." .
                            If he mention this in the divorce , will she be able to file I-751 or not.
                            Request your opinion asap.

Thanks
                            After the divorce, she can file I-751 on her own on the basis of divorce; she does not need his signature. If you are saying that somehow the divorce decree will say that she cannot file I-751 by herself, that would not make any sense. Her immigration status is between her and the government, and a divorce decree cannot control her ability to file immigration processes for herself by herself that do not require his involvement, especially since Removal of Conditions is something that federal law requires conditional permanent residents to file in order to stay as a permanent resident.

Comment

After the divorce, she can file I-751 on her own on the basis of divorce; she does not need his signature. If you are saying that somehow the divorce decree will say that she cannot file I-751 by herself, that would not make any sense. Her immigration status is between her and the government, and a divorce decree cannot control her ability to file immigration processes for herself by herself that do not require his involvement, especially since Removal of Conditions is something that federal law requires conditional permanent residents to file in order to stay as a permanent resident.
                              Thanks for your response.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X