Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance to enter the US 1,5 years after Re-entry permit expiry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chance to enter the US 1,5 years after Re-entry permit expiry?

Dear forum readers, your advice will be much appreciated!

I won the DV lottery and received Green Card in 2012, after which I filed for a Re-entry permit and went back to my country of birth to finish my studies. Before the expiration of the Re-entry permit in 2014 I went to the US again and filed for a second Re-entry permit because I got a 100% scholarship for PhD in my country of birth, and in the US I couldn?t afford it. But after finishing my PhD, I had to look after my grandfather who needed constant care and passed away in January. So my second Re-entry permit expired in December 2016. I have no property or bank accounts in the US and I did not pay taxes, as I was a student. However I have always preserved the intention to return to the US and I want to do it now finally.

I plan to apply to the US Consulate for a returning resident visa. Is there anything I can do to increase my little chance to have it approved? Should I submit my grandfather?s medical documents?

If you haven't found out already, I'd say your green card is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by alex_r View Post
      Dear forum readers, your advice will be much appreciated!

I won the DV lottery and received Green Card in 2012, after which I filed for a Re-entry permit and went back to my country of birth to finish my studies. Before the expiration of the Re-entry permit in 2014 I went to the US again and filed for a second Re-entry permit because I got a 100% scholarship for PhD in my country of birth, and in the US I couldn?t afford it. But after finishing my PhD, I had to look after my grandfather who needed constant care and passed away in January. So my second Re-entry permit expired in December 2016. I have no property or bank accounts in the US and I did not pay taxes, as I was a student. However I have always preserved the intention to return to the US and I want to do it now finally.

I plan to apply to the US Consulate for a returning resident visa. Is there anything I can do to increase my little chance to have it approved? Should I submit my grandfather?s medical documents?
      Only an immigration judge can make the finding of abandonment. No one else. At this point, the returning resident visa is your safest option. You could also enter via land and CBP is unlikely to give you more than a wrist slap.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X