Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving the country with brand new green card

Hi,
    I just got my labor certification approved and we are about to file my green card application. However, I’m also dating a US citizens in the Air Force, who will be stationed in my home country, Germany, for the next 2-3 years and I would like to go with him. What is the best way to do this without risking my green card? I was going to wait until I got it and then follow him over there, but as far as I understand I could only stay there up to a year or potentially up to two years with an approved Reentry Permit, correct? How soon after receiving my green card could I leave? Also, if we were to get married within the two years in Germany could I change the employment based green card to a marriage based green card and stay in Germany as an accompanying family member/spouse instead? I’m definitely still planning on coming back to the states and working here afterwards!
    I know this is quite the complicated situation, which is why I would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance for any answers!

Originally posted by Maddipla View Post
    Hi,
    I just got my labor certification approved and we are about to file my green card application. However, I’m also dating a US citizens in the Air Force, who will be stationed in my home country, Germany, for the next 2-3 years and I would like to go with him. What is the best way to do this without risking my green card? I was going to wait until I got it and then follow him over there, but as far as I understand I could only stay there up to a year or potentially up to two years with an approved Reentry Permit, correct? How soon after receiving my green card could I leave? Also, if we were to get married within the two years in Germany could I change the employment based green card to a marriage based green card and stay in Germany as an accompanying family member/spouse instead? I’m definitely still planning on coming back to the states and working here afterwards!
    I know this is quite the complicated situation, which is why I would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance for any answers!
    "How soon after receiving my green card could I leave?"

Immediately you can take the next flight out of the country once you received your green card (or I551 stamp on your passport).

But you are better of with approved Re-entry permit.

Also, you got married to a USC that got stationed overseas by the US government, and you followed your USC spouse, the time out of the country will still count as the time for you to naturalize (so your GC is not at risk)

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X