8 Months and more outside US on GC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Months and more outside US on GC?

I came back end of September 2018 from US to India and I would be traveling back first week of June 2019.

What could be the repercussions of 8 months + stay outside US on my GC? Also, what kind of scrutiny OR queries one need to face at port of entry!

Please advise!

From what I read, all travel for long periods (181 days or more) require more scrutiny at PoE. They need to know why you stayed that long and if you really want to stay as resident (ties with USA). In other words, you need to convince the officer that you had something to do in India that took longer than you expected and that is not a regular thing.

If you think that you need to keep long travels abroad like this, is better if you request a re-entry permit with form I-131. It is valid for 2 years and you will have less issues entering the USA (from what I read). Good luck.
    Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
    Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
    Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
    ---
    All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Enub4 View Post
      From what I read, all travel for long periods (181 days or more) require more scrutiny at PoE. They need to know why you stayed that long and if you really want to stay as resident (ties with USA). In other words, you need to convince the officer that you had something to do in India that took longer than you expected and that is not a regular thing.
      If based on online documentation, the CBP site says travel upto an year is OK. I just wanted to know, on the ground(POE), how the same is implemented.

Do we need to carry some documents to substantiate our ties with US.

Comment

Yes, they say it is OK up to 1 year, and I read that as they will let you in but will ask more questions than if the travel was less than 180 days. If it is more than one year, then you need a different document (re-entry permit or returning resident visa).

I always travel with extra documents, just in case (no GC holder yet) but I don't remember they asked for any other document just more questions and to give them my cell phone to look at my contacts, photos, chats, apps, emails, this with Global Entry.
        ---
        All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Enub4 View Post
          Yes, they say it is OK up to 1 year, and I read that as they will let you in but will ask more questions than if the travel was less than 180 days. If it is more than one year, then you need a different document (re-entry permit or returning resident visa).

I always travel with extra documents, just in case (no GC holder yet) but I don't remember they asked for any other document just more questions and to give them my cell phone to look at my contacts, photos, chats, apps, emails, this with Global Entry.
          Does that mean there will be secondary screening? What could be the questions about?

Could someone here share their first hand experience, please.

Comment

Could someone help me here, as i am scheduled for travel in couple of weeks. I would like to know what might be the questions at POE for a returning GC holder after 9 months!

Please suggest!

Comment

I guess all the questions will be around "why you stayed so long outside the USA". Every officer can ask different things. I don't have information if all travelers must go to secondary screening if more than 180 days outside the USA, I guess it depends on the officer at PoE.
              ---

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X