Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for SSN with GC

Hi there,

Has anyone applied for SSN after receiving the green card? I read a post saying that you can get it the same day, but everywhere else it says 2 weeks.

I have a job offer and I want to start working asap. Has anyone gone through the process? Is there a way to get a temporary one while the official is being printed?

Thanks!
    Field Office - Queens, NY

31/12/2018 - Concurrent filing of I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131 - marriage-based AOS with B2 visa
    01/09/2019 - Checks were cashed & 4 NOA received
    01/19/2019 - Biometrics appointment scheduled for the 01/31
    01/22/2019 - Biometrics done on walk in
    03/27/2019 - Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview
    04/10/2019 - Interview has been scheduled to 05/21
    05/21/2019 - New card is being produced
    05/23/2019 - card shipped
    05/28/2019 - GC in hand!

Where is the post you read?

Comment

Originally posted by vvvrrr View Post
      Hi there,

Has anyone applied for SSN after receiving the green card? I read a post saying that you can get it the same day, but everywhere else it says 2 weeks.

I have a job offer and I want to start working asap. Has anyone gone through the process? Is there a way to get a temporary one while the official is being printed?

Thanks!
      You don't need to already have an SSN to start work. You just need to have applied for an SSN; you can show the employer the receipt showing you applied for one.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

I hope you visited the SSA office today, I guess they don't open on Monday. If you started your process today, it could take up to 2 weeks to get the SSN card by mail.
        My guess is that you can go again to SSA office after a few days, and depending on the person they could give you your number before you get the card.
        My spouse visited the SSA office 3-4 days before getting the SSN card and they were able to provide the number and told us that the card was already in the mail.
        Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
        Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
        Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
        ---
        All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X