Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum 6 months indian passport validity for travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum 6 months indian passport validity for travel?

Hello friends,

I am trying to get out of india to USA asap as my re-entry permit expires on 17th June. However, I just noticed that my passport is now valid for around 5 months and 1 day. This alert just came because I tried to book a flight on indian site. I always booked on expedia.com (11 days ago) and they never told me this 6 month rule.

Is 6 months validity a serious rule?

I tried to book urgent passport appointment but they seems to be overbooked till 18th of next month. Normally, passport renewal is taking 3-4 weeks these days as per talk with a visa services company.

Sach

Indian passport holders are exempt from the six month rule. Instead, the passport only needs to be valid for the duration of stay in the US and this applies to visitors / business only

Assuming you are a permanent resident in possession of a re-entry permit, your passport only needs to be valid till you enter the USA.
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R78 View Post
      Indian passport holders are exempt from the six month rule. Instead, the passport only needs to be valid for the duration of stay in the US and this applies to visitors / business only

Assuming you are a permanent resident in possession of a re-entry permit, your passport only needs to be valid till you enter the USA.
      I have heard that carriers can refuse boarding. isn't that true?

Comment

Depends on the country's restrictions. They usually verify this at check in along with other docs.
        Since you are flying out of India, their ground staff is very well aware of the requirements.
        If you're still worried, you should call them with your ticket number

Comment

Originally posted by R78 View Post
          Depends on the country's restrictions. They usually verify this at check in along with other docs.
          Since you are flying out of India, their ground staff is very well aware of the requirements.
          If you're still worried, you should call them with your ticket number
          Point is I do not know why airline I will fly out with. I will buy ticket from airline which is flying first out of india. but I will talk to one from whom i have bought a partially refundable ticket.

Comment

I went to passport office in india today and they did not entertain my application for emergency passport renewal citing emergency passports apps are not allowed right now. this is totally crazy since they are accepting normal apps in fact when they should be accepting only emergency apps like USA. On tuesday, I am going to passport head office called RPO. monday is holiday. currently, they were not accepting applications since lockdown and when they opened after lockdown, they said normal apps will take unknown amount of time...probably 1-2 months and my passport will be immediately cancelled if I apply under normal app.

currently, I have bought a ticket from swiss airlines for june 3rd so i will transit through zurich. I will call them asap on passport requirements. so much trouble due to coronavirus.
            Last edited by sach_nyc; 05-22-2020, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Based on your information, your passport is valid through October 2020
              Based on the information I provided, India is exempt from the 6 month rule.
              Additonally, you have a greencard & reentry permit, which means, once admitted at the border, your stay in the US does not expire.
              No one in zurich will stop you from boarding based on your passport. So stop worrying and start packing.

Comment

I reached USA without trouble. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sach_nyc View Post
                  I reached USA without trouble. thanks
                  Are they allowing to re-enter with expired reentry permit as we have the same situation. Please help me. We had expired reentry Permits in first week of June. And because of no flights available and uncertainty of allowing to re-enter we didn't come till now. Please let me know if they are allowing to re-enter with Covid being the reason. Then we must travel soon with vande bharat mission flights ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X