Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I be denied entrance at the border even if I have a re-entry permit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I be denied entrance at the border even if I have a re-entry permit?

Hi,

I want to get a re-entry permit and visit my family for a year and a half. I do not own any property in the US except for my car, which I will park in a friend's backyard. I will also show my permanent address as my friend's house. Now, is there a chance that I may be denied entrance into the country at the border even if I have a re-entry permit? Wherever I looked on the internet, they say the permit does not guarantee my entry into the country, but they do not further explain this. I am worried that I may be jeopardizing my green card. I have used food stamps in the past few months, I will stop using them but is there chance that they would deny my re-entry at the border because I was not fully self-sufficient during my life here?

Originally posted by Arassemih View Post
    Now, is there a chance that I may be denied entrance into the country at the border even if I have a re-entry permit?
    Yes. Having a re-entry permit means you won't be considered to have abandoned residence solely based on the length of absence, but it's still possible for you to be considered to have abandoned residence based on other factors. Also, since you were away for more than 180 days, you are considered an applicant for admission, and so can be denied entry if you have any grounds of inadmissibility.

I have used food stamps in the past few months, I will stop using them but is there chance that they would deny my re-entry at the border because I was not fully self-sufficient during my life here?
    Use of Food Stamps or other non-cash benefits are not considered when determining whether you are inadmissible for being likely to become a public charge, under current rules. See USCIS public charge resources, Implementation of the 1999 Interim Field Guidance, Q14, "What public benefit programs does USCIS not consider?"

Comment

Hi,

I want to get a re-entry permit and visit my family for a year and a half. I do not own any property in the US except for my car, which I will park in a friend's backyard. I will also show my permanent address as my friend's house. Now, is there a chance that I may be denied entrance into the country at the border even if I have a re-entry permit? Wherever I looked on the internet, they say the permit does not guarantee my entry into the country, but they do not further explain this. I am worried that I may be jeopardizing my green card. I have used food stamps in the past few months, I will stop using them but is there chance that they would deny my re-entry at the border because I was not fully self-sufficient during my life here?
      LPRs legally cannot be denied entry into the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by angelica View Post
        Yes. Having a re-entry permit means you won't be considered to have abandoned residence solely based on the length of absence, but it's still possible for you to be considered to have abandoned residence based on other factors. Also, since you were away for more than 180 days, you are considered an applicant for admission, and so can be denied entry if you have any grounds of inadmissibility.
        By what other factors can I be denied entry? I have never been in trouble with the law, except for one minor traffic accident. I will not rent a house in my home country nor will I get a job. Is there anything else?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X