Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I-751 extension ending soon, no updates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-751 extension ending soon, no updates?

Hi everyone.
    I've seen some people writing about a 48 extension on their I-751. About 2 years ago I got a 24 month extension and I haven't heard anything since. My extension is ending soon. Could I expect a new extension in the mail soon?

I'm finally on the phone waiting to talk to an actual USCIS agent but the wait time is about 60 minutes (omg the automated call system is brutal....).
    I am actually contemplating filing my N400 but since they have not sent me an extension, could that mean that they are actively working on my case? I have two cases pending at the moment (I-751 and replace green card after name change) and would prefer not to add a third pending case. I don't want to do anything that could cause any delays.

They started issuing 48-month extension letters in January 2023, and they were supposed to issue new I-751 receipts with 48-month extension language to any previously-filed I-751 that were still pending at that time. I am not sure why you still have not received it. In any case, the way to get proof of permanent residency now is to call USCIS to get an I-551 stamp (either on your passport or on a separate sheet). They might do it at an appointment at a local USCIS office or they might do it by mail.

Note that even if your extension letter expires and you do not get another proof of permanent residency, you remain in legal permanent resident status, for as long as your I-751 is pending; you just don't have proof of your status. It is a good idea (and legal requirement) to have proof of your status with you at all times, but in practice not having proof of your status will not affect most things, unless you need to leave the US, or travel near the border, or your state ties driver's license validity to validity of the extension letter.

By the way, you would probably have been eligible to file N-400 for naturalization under the 3-year rule about a year ago. If you are planning on naturalizing, have you filed N-400? It might help speed up your I-751.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply! newacct I was hoping that since I had not gotten an extension letter that they were maybe actively working on my case with maybe a status update before the end of the 24-month extension.... I guess that's not happening.

I was just about to start with my N-400 application and then realized my extension was ending soon. That's why I came on here to ask. I finally talked to someone at USCIS who of course could not help me at all, but someone else will call me back about a stamp "within 30 days"... what a ridiculous timeframe. And I really hope this can be taken care of through mail, otherwise I will be driving 6 hours just to get a stamp!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X