Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expired GC + Extension letter

Good day All!

Have a question... I applied to get my GC renewed on January of 2022 and have yet to receive the new card. USCIS has this message as the application status: "Time until decision: approximately 3 months. I also have an extension letter that is expiring on July of 2024. Now, I have a wedding to attend overseas in the month of August of 2024 and I'm a little concerned as to whether I am going to get the new card because the Potomac processing center seems to have serious backlog issues.

I guess my question is/are... is it safe for me to wait another 3 months to find out if I'm going to receive the GC? If not, are there any alternatives (filing for an extension now, travelling with the expired documents anyway, etc).

Thank you so much in advance!

Since it's close to the end of the 24-month extension letter, you can call USCIS to get an I-551 stamp. They might have you go in and put an I-551 stamp on your passport, or they can mail you an I-551 stamp on a separate I-94 paper.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      Since it's close to the end of the 24-month extension letter, you can call USCIS to get an I-551 stamp. They might have you go in and put an I-551 stamp on your passport, or they can mail you an I-551 stamp on a separate I-94 paper.
      Thanks for the feedback.

Do you know how long the I-551 stamp process takes?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X