Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestion on my US born baby's future college education

Hi there,

This question must have been asked many times and read a lot on other forums but couldn't get one sure shot solution for my situation. Some may think that my baby is still a baby and I am already thinking about College, but I want the best for my baby and want to do everything right that I can, I am sure you guys will understand where I am coming from.

Here is my situation:

I am working on H1 in US since 2011, came here only for 11months job assignment but got more opportunities and have not returned back to India yet. My current visa is going to expire in 2017 and have not filed for GC (yet). A lot changed in last 4 years, I got married and now blessed with a baby who is absolutely apple of our eyes.
    My wife is on H4 visa. Like so many Indians we too are not yet decided on our future in US should we stay or go back. But I am more inclined towards going back to India as my family is there and they won't move here and more over the procedure to stay here permanently is excruciatingly painful and time consuming. I chose to have my baby born here in US citing better medical facilities and also to avoid any changes in the mix(of the doctor/hospital was too worried and one of the biggest reason was having the option of epidural for my wife, which is not allowed in India ) after we got to know we were expecting. Few days ago only I realized that when we will go back to India, attaining education especially the college will be very costly for my son as even though we will return to India we will have to pay the NRI/PIO/OCI fee. After returning to India and earning on Indian salary its going to be very challenging if not impossible to pay that kind of fee. While digging through what shall I do about this I got to know I could have applied for Indian Passport for my son even though he was born in US. Unfortunately I didn't know this and have already applied and received US passport for my son. As I have read now I cannot register my son's birth at Indian Mission here in US. So the way I am understanding this is that my son now cannot become Indian Citizen until he is 18 and give up his US citizenship and applies for Indian Citizenship.

I am sure I am not the only one sailing in this boat, please can anyone make suggestions what shall I do to ensure a quality, affordable education for my baby in India in coming future knowing all above? I want to do anything that I can do right now that will help.
    Please note I ruled out education in US for my son just for the same reason of cost as affording US education on Indian salary will again be challenging.

Thanks in advance for your help and I apologize if this same exact question has already been answered, if yes please share the link, I will be grateful.

Regards,
    Vikas

Vikas,

No matter what suggestions are made now about the child's future, conditions will change before he becomes 18. Taking the "long view" seems a good idea, on paper, but some things we cannot control, especially this far in advance.

It seems that you have two choices:

1. Allow the child to retain U.S. citizenship
    2. Change the child's citizenship to Indian.

A college/university education in the U.S. is not prohibitively expensive, but is expensive. Scholarships, grants, student loans, can also assist in helping the child through the U.S. higher education quagmire.

--Ray B

Originally posted by vikas2042 View Post
    Hi there,

This question must have been asked many times and read a lot on other forums but couldn't get one sure shot solution for my situation. Some may think that my baby is still a baby and I am already thinking about College, but I want the best for my baby and want to do everything right that I can, I am sure you guys will understand where I am coming from.

Here is my situation:

I am working on H1 in US since 2011, came here only for 11months job assignment but got more opportunities and have not returned back to India yet. My current visa is going to expire in 2017 and have not filed for GC (yet). A lot changed in last 4 years, I got married and now blessed with a baby who is absolutely apple of our eyes.
    My wife is on H4 visa. Like so many Indians we too are not yet decided on our future in US should we stay or go back. But I am more inclined towards going back to India as my family is there and they won't move here and more over the procedure to stay here permanently is excruciatingly painful and time consuming. I chose to have my baby born here in US citing better medical facilities and also to avoid any changes in the mix(of the doctor/hospital was too worried and one of the biggest reason was having the option of epidural for my wife, which is not allowed in India ) after we got to know we were expecting. Few days ago only I realized that when we will go back to India, attaining education especially the college will be very costly for my son as even though we will return to India we will have to pay the NRI/PIO/OCI fee. After returning to India and earning on Indian salary its going to be very challenging if not impossible to pay that kind of fee. While digging through what shall I do about this I got to know I could have applied for Indian Passport for my son even though he was born in US. Unfortunately I didn't know this and have already applied and received US passport for my son. As I have read now I cannot register my son's birth at Indian Mission here in US. So the way I am understanding this is that my son now cannot become Indian Citizen until he is 18 and give up his US citizenship and applies for Indian Citizenship.

I am sure I am not the only one sailing in this boat, please can anyone make suggestions what shall I do to ensure a quality, affordable education for my baby in India in coming future knowing all above? I want to do anything that I can do right now that will help.
    Please note I ruled out education in US for my son just for the same reason of cost as affording US education on Indian salary will again be challenging.

Thanks in advance for your help and I apologize if this same exact question has already been answered, if yes please share the link, I will be grateful.

Regards,
    Vikas

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X