Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Back to India

Hi,

I am a regular visitor of immihelp.com and the information provided is very useful for the persons willing to come in Visa, procedures to bring parents, child birth in US etc..

I do refer this and get clarified frequently. Thanks a lot.

However I do not get some information anywhere which is helpful to Indians who want to go back to India permanantly.

Here are some questions I have related to my situation.

Moving Back to India
    ====================

1. What are the documents we need to keep for the kid? (Born in America)

2. How to renew the passport of the kids born in USA ? Do we need to appear in person?

3. Is the kid need to be registered with local police authority for the stay in India (because it exceeds 6 months).

4. Is it possible to get Indian passport for the kid born in USA(PIO Card holder) ?

5. After completing his Schoool education can he come to US for College Studies without applying for VISA?
    Last edited by jarun81; 10-31-2006, 11:06 AM.

Apply for an OCI card (0verseas citizenship of India). That is as good as an Indian passport. Your kid will have all benefits in India except voting. And you never need to register with the local police station. You can also renew the US passports from the consulates in India.

Comment

Moving Back to India

Hi leifbo****

Thanks for the suggestions,

but if both parents are Indian Nationals the kid is not eligible to get the OCI card (Only PIO is allowed).

Thanks

Comment

I dont completely agree.. one of my friends has a 2 yr old kid who was born here. The parents are on an H1 and H4 visa respectively. This kid has an American passport with an OCI card.

Comment

Someone might have got an OCI in that situation earlier when the rules were not very clear.

However, if both parents are Indian citizens, foreign citizen kids can't apply for OCI card.
          Immihelp Support
          No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

In the same boat

I am in the same boat and looking for the answers as well. So far I got answers for 2, 3 & 4. Gurus, can you please share some light on question 1 and 5 as well?

2. How to renew the passport of the kids born in USA? Do we need to appear in person?
            Can renew the US passports from the consulates in India

3. Is the kid need to be registered with local police authority for the stay in India (because it exceeds 6 months)?
            Yes

4. Is it possible to get Indian passport for the kid born in USA (PIO Card holder) ?
            No

5. After completing his School education can he come to US for College Studies without applying for VISA?

Comment

My opinion

Originally posted by l0velyh0me
              I am in the same boat and looking for the answers as well. So far I got answers for 2, 3 & 4. Gurus, can you please share some light on question 1 and 5 as well?

2. How to renew the passport of the kids born in USA? Do we need to appear in person?
              Can renew the US passports from the consulates in India

3. Is the kid need to be registered with local police authority for the stay in India (because it exceeds 6 months)?
              Yes

4. Is it possible to get Indian passport for the kid born in USA (PIO Card holder) ?
              No

5. After completing his School education can he come to US for College Studies without applying for VISA?
              Regarding (5), this is my opinion:
              If you child holds a American Passport, then there is no question of VISA at all. He/She can come anytime for any purpose including education. As far as I know, there are more number of seats for American Citizens, but only catch is that they may not be considered for in-state fees (which is lower).

Hope this helps.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, just sharing my point of view.

Comment

Regarding (5), if the child is educated in India and completes undergrad in IIT/IIM/BITS/... , he/she will easily get a full scholarship with a stipend to study in the best univs. You wont need to pay any fees or expenses for them. That is something for every parent to be proud of.

Comment

US born Infant can stay more than 180 days in india

Can any one answer my question

1) My son(Infant) having us passport and went india on Visiting visa.valid for 15 years. We did not apply the PIO card.Without PIO card infant can stay in india more than 180 days? if yes waht we need to do?
                  Where we need to Inform?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X